Motorhome / Horse Accident (UPDATED)

eeboater

Commander
Re: Motorhome / Horse Accident (UPDATED)

Sorry to hear about your wife Kagee! How did the proceedings go? Smoothly or did they fight you?<br /><br />Sean

KaGee

Admiral

They waited until the 11th hour to offer a settlement. It will all depend upon your father's insurance company and that of the truck company's. The whole mess took about 3 years.<br /><br />There is a trend now by certain companies not to settle. They choose to go to court, wagering that they will come out ahead of the game.<br /><br />In your Father's case, with so much at stake, I wouldn't count on anything other than a long drawn out affair. The laws make it clear that he is intitled to FMV for damage to the motorhome and the trailer. Other than that, the attorneys hash it out... who will gladly take a third share FYI.

eeboater

Commander

Well, my Stepmom is the IT director of one of the biggest Law firms in Cleveland. She's got the 60 MM's set and ready to fire. <br /><br />Sean

eeboater

Commander

Well, I just spoke with my stepmom... The lawyer for the trucking company came in on 3/30. We had a meeting with their lawyer and him. We came to an agreement. They covered all our losses and we'll be able to purchase new horses, which we have already done. So, the motorhome was paid off and actually State Farm (our insurance company) paid out more on it then we would have expected. When they came back with a figure the first time she told them to have it relooked at. The second time it was $22,000.00 higher than the first. The trailer was covered and we got enough money to buy a replacement. We didn't end up millionaires like some people think happens. Bottom line is, there are recoverable losses and non-recoverable losses. Unless you go thru litigation, you stick with recoverable losses - period. We're happy with the outcome overall and we're just glad it's over with.<br /><br />Sean

KaGee

Admiral

Wow.... 3 months? That's fast!