Motorhome / Horse Accident (UPDATED)

eeboater

Commander
In my 25 years of life I have never seen my father cry... Until yesterday. I have a story to vent, which may get graphic at times but I appreciate the outlet.<br /><br />At 3pm on New Years day I received a phone call from my younger brother in Ohio. He informed me that my Dad and stepmom were in a horrible accident.<br /><br />In the past 3 years, my Father and Stepmother have purchased and fallen in love with Icelandic horses. They have acres of land behind they're house with beautiful paddocks and stables (which incidentally never get used since Icelandics love being outside).<br /><br />They decided to go to a plantation in South Carolina over Christmas/New Years break for a 2 week extended vacation. They pulled two of our Mares behind our Motorhome and stayed on the plantation the whole time enjoying themsleves. All in all, it was a great break.<br /><br />On New Years Eve, they packed up and began their ride back to Ohio. Near the North/South Carolina border there was a small car accident a few miles up which caused a slowdown in traffic with the usual rubberneckers. Apparently a vehicle had lost its wheel ahead and partially blocked the highway obviously causing traffic. As they slowly came to a stop my mom mentioned that she "sure hopes people behind them are noticing the slowdown." Right when she said that my dad looked down at the small tv in the dash which projected the image from the rear camera when he was shocked to see the last few seconds of a Semi-Truck barreling down on them at over 65 MPH. <br /><br />The shock was incredible. To give you an idea, they had a 36" television in the area above their heads for the kitchen/dining/living room area of the motorhome. The instant of the collision, the 36" tv flew straight backwards until it hit the end of the cables and swung forward til it came to a stop between my dad and stepmom. <br /><br />Immediately following the collision they managed to go out to see what damage had been done. The semi complete obliterated the aluminum trailer holding the two mares. After destroying the trailer, the semi continued onto our motorhome and begun to push the diesel motor into the rear bedroom of the motorhome. The semi pushed the motorhome onto the shoulder and 300 feet down the road. Luckily, the motorhome absorbed enough of the collision in that the semi did not reach the gas/propane tanks beneath the motorhome. <br /><br />Both of the mares were killed instantly. On top of that, both of them were pregnant with one due in feb/march. The foal from that mare was ejected upon impact and was found on scene in the ditch. (I apologize for the graphicness). Thankfully, they had no idea what happened. They had no chance.<br /><br />My Father and stepmom walked away without a scratch. The seats they were sitting in had really high backs so they did not have whiplash or anything - just complete and udder shock. The driver of the truck also walked away without harm. Although we all agree that he is going to have issues later in life. Not only did he have to watch the mutilation of two innocent horses, but, several slats from the aluminum trailer flew into his cab and skewered the seat on his right, and in his seat to the left. He came VERY close to dieing.<br /><br />All in all my father said that the ten seconds that started from when the truck hit them to when they came to a stop cost a minimum of $375,000. This is just the cost of the horses and motorhome.<br /><br />This is not counting the incredible emotional loss they experienced from losing their two mares. These horses were imported from ICELAND with true ICELANDIC blood lines to help develop a herd that they can use to start a riding business when they retire from their current jobs. Thousands of hours and dollars have been lost from the negligence of one man who simply couldn't accept the responsibility of paying attention to what is going on around him.<br /><br />Four Ir-replacable horses lost their lives New Years Eve. A bloodline of horses came to an abrupt end. <br /><br />My dad has a very stressful job. He owns his own consulting company which, while is very lucrative, is VERY stressful as well. The horses were a release for him. It helped rein his stress back into something that is managable, thus increasing his health.<br /><br />The only comforting thought we can come up with right now is that we know the horses had two weeks of relaxation and gentle yet fun trailriding before their unfortunate demise. <br /><br />There's something innocent about animals. Whether they are 2000 lb horses, or 2 lb dogs, the fact that they can't seem to intentionally do harm. Thats what makes this tragic.<br /><br /><br />Sean

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Motorhome / Horse Accident (UPDATED)

Wow. The only good thing about this story is no people were hurt! Although the horses are very valuable and held a special place in the hearts of your family, they can never compare to a human life. <br />I am sorry to hear of you and your families loss. It is never easy to lose something or someone you love.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm very sorry to hear about your father's loss eeboater - hope they were insured... :( <br /><br />I was nearly wiped out in a similar situation a few years ago. I was in a car at the end of a stationary queue when a large articulated milk tanker came screaming around a blind corner behind me - way too fast to stop. I would have been history (probably reduced to mush) if the driver had not made the instant decision to cross the centre line instead of hitting me. I'm thankful there were no vehicles coming the other way - otherwise he might not have made that decision...<br /><br />I'm sorry your father wasn't quite as lucky as me - but at least he wasn't physically hurt.

LadyFish

Admiral

eeboater, I'm sorry to hear of your Dad's and Step mom’s misfortune. A sad day indeed. However, the fact that they survived such a horrific accident unscathed is a miracle. It’s a dreadful shame about the horses, but they may have saved your Dad and Step mom’s lives.<br /><br />My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I am just glad that your dad and stepmom didn't get injured. The loss of the horses is awful but can't begin to compare to the loss of loved ones. Thank God that he spared them.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I concur that it is tragic, but just think of the possibilities of what could have happened if the horse trailer was not on there.<br /><br />Again, sorry for their loss.

SoulWinner

Commander

This is so sad. I am realy sorry for the loss of the horses, but I am thankful that your dad and step mom are ok. This could have been much worse. I was in a really bad crash back in 2000. Now when it turns cold that crash haunts me, with aches in my ancles, wrists, and shoulders. I hope your folks make out ok.

eeboater

Commander

Thanks everyone for their sentiments. It has been a rough couple of days. My father is completely devastated. You all are right that we all have to be thankful that they escaped without a scratch. <br /><br />When we look back at it. Not only did the horses save the lives of my Parents, but the fact that my Parents were sitting there in the motorhome, prevented the Semi from plowing into the massive amounts of cars lined up. Since the semi hit them, they potentially saves many lives that did not have to end up getting hit by the semi.<br /><br />Its going to be a long rebuilding process. But I know my parents, and they'll handle it.<br /><br />Sean

eeboater

Commander

Well... The photos came in last night. These are pictures that were not graphic. There are some photos that have pictures with the horses in them but since this is a family forum, I'm not going to post them.<br /><br />Believe it or not, there is a trailer between the Semi and the back of the motorhome in these pics.<br /><br />Sean<br /><br />Edit:<br /><br />Sorry bout that Guys:<br /><br /> Try this link instead.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

ee,<br />I get the dreaded Red X.<br /><br />AK Chappy

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Maybe you could just post a link to the pictures for us.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Wow, talk about destruction.<br />I know it may sound callous, but it is better for the horses to have given their all, than for your parents to have done so.<br />He had to be moving at full speed to push something that big, that far.<br /><br />AK Chappy

eeboater

Commander

Yep - callous or not, I agree with you completely. <br /><br />No matter how you look at it, they were there to save the peoples lives in the car in front of them.<br /><br />Every one of them should be thankful.<br /><br />Sean

eeboater

Commander

Oh, and just a quick number to toss out there.<br /><br />GVW of motorhome without trailer, horses, hay, and all equipment loaded in motorhome.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />43,000 LB<br /><br /> http://www.holidayrambler.com/endeavor/chart.html <br /><br />(Endeavor 40DST)

SoulWinner

Commander

Holy smokes! Dang, what a crash! What a miracle no one was injured. The driver of the truck was very lucky.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your folks were very lucky. The horses were a terrible loss but it could have been much, much worse.

eeboater

Commander

Just another update... We got the police report last weekend.<br /><br />
  • <br />
  • Speed at impact: 72 MPH<br />
  • Distance Travelled after impact: 376 Feet<br />
  • Report indicates driver never made an attempt to stop.<br />
  • No drugs or alcohol<br />
  • Does not indicate he fell asleep either.<br />
<br /><br />So, now we let the lawyers duke it out in court. Although, I think we have a pretty good case on our hands.<br /><br />Sean

KaGee

Admiral

EE...<br /><br />They should count their blessings and be thanking God above for their personal wellbeing.<br /><br />My wife was in an accident in '96 at an intersection. A guy in a van pulling a trailer with a small Bobcat was turning left as she was approching the intersection. He was trying to beat the light, forgetting about the trailer behind him. It was raining, she saw it coming but could not stop on the wet pavement.<br /><br />Long story short, we sued, we settled, but no settllement can take away the back pain she has had every day since then.

SoulWinner

Commander

KaGee,<br /><br />E-mail me. I will tell you how I got over much of the pain that I experienced after my wreck.<br /><br />toy4runr@mchsi.com<br /><br />Peace bro.