Motorcycles and Fun and Pain

JRJ

Commander
Is there anyone here who has ridden that hasn't been down? I have and I have the scars and pins to prove it :eek: If you ride, leave the part of your body un-protected that you can do without :D <br />You can gear up with body armor or wear shorts and tennies. The state doesn't care, as long as you wear a helmet.<br /><br />I don't own a bike any more, but still get the urge on a nice spring day :cool: Enjoy your ride.

ehenry

Commander
Re: Motorcycles and Fun and Pain

I've donated my pound of flesh to the asphalt/gravel/concrete gods. Dont have a bike anymore but do have to quell a hankerin for one every now and then.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Been down several times. No injuries beyond a slightly bruised butt.<br /><br />All body parts were always protected, but I trashed a helmet and 2 sets of leathers.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I only ride off-road anymore. When I rode street bikes, I did hit the pavement once when I was struck from behind by a van full of kids who took off after a quick check to make sure they didn't kill me. Lost a little skin, but no stitches needed. Off road riding I have hit trees, branches, rocks, embankments, etc and never once received an injury worse than a bruised kidney. And the kidney was injured AFTER I dumped the bike. I stood up, lost my footing and fell down a steep embankment and slammed my kidney into a tree!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I dont ride a lot, but I have never been down on a bike. I only ride dirt these days, I am sure I will lay it down sooner or later.<br /><br />The wife in her younger days has the scars to prove it. She missed a turn at about 30 mph, ended up in the ditch, ripped a chunk of skin from her ankle, but fine otherwise.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

I have rode mostly street and still do a little and have never been down, came close a couple times on rain and loose gravel, but stayed upright, kinda.

LadyFish

Admiral

Mr. LF and I both have had our road rash on the Harley. He can tell ya a real funny story about a turkey. :p

aspeck

Staff member

I will not ride when roads are wet any more! Took a spill while being tailgated. Threw bike one way and rolled the other - car drove between me and the bike. Not hurt, picked bike up and continued on, with an urge to beat someone to a pulp.<br /><br />Little while later it hit me what happened, and how close I came - has made me a safer rider, and I will not ride in the rain.

ehenry

Commander

A red bird and I had an abrupt meeting when I was riding once. Daburn bird almost knocked me off my bike!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Tipped over once at the age of 8 or 9.<br />Tipped over once when I came to a stop and my feet wouldn't touch the ground cause I was forced to stop in a drainage swale.<br />Tipped over when front tire sank in a foot of loose pea gravel.<br />Closest I came to a real downing was a two wheel slide on a Goldwing and a super wild high speed wobble on a RD350. Carried that wobble for a couple hundred feet, witnesses thought I was a goner.<br /><br />So I guess I never went down in 28 years.<br />Sold the bikes a few years ago, but went and looked at one just yesterday. :)

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Had my share of donating skin and flesh to the road god :D Went down once and skidded about 10 ft on belt buckle, scrape the knee and elbow a bit and belt buckle was worn down. Had being a defensive motorcyclist since.<br /><br />"Keep the shining side up and rubber side down."

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I've never ridden a motorcycle, i find them to be remarkably beautiful machines, however the girls in the motorcycle ads makes me go all wobbley :D

one more cast

Captain

I was never down on the blacktop except when I went over the handlebars at about 5 mph in a driveway (don't ask) but as a kid I did a lot of trail riding on a road bike in all kinds of weather including snow so I was on the ground quite a bit. By the way...how many riders on here use the counter steer technique for cornering? It can improving your riding skill a whole lot.

JRJ

Commander

Some good riders here with a lot of luck too :cool: <br /><br />Hey roscoe, glad your finger is better. Got to admit I thought of you when that Wendy's digit deal came up :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Recall one too many spills, both soft and hard. Found boating much more fun. Anywhere I go on a street bike I can go with my truck, but neither will go where my boat does. BTW the boat is pain sometimes too.

SpinnerBait_Nut

This is my baby, a 1986 Goldwing 1200. Now you see why I am very carefull about getting down. Bought it new, has 6000 miles on it and still like new.<br />We do go out ever once and a while, but not to often.<br />
47b5da06b3127cce910f7479a80d00000016108QZNGjFw1ca

eeboater

Commander

I've never been down *thank God*.<br /><br />Mrs. EEboater "suggested" (if you know what I mean) that I sell it 1 month before we got married. Her reasoning, too expensive. <br /><br />I could more than afford it now. I'm thinking there may have been ulterior motives.. :D <br /><br /><br />Sean

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hey Spinner, had the same bike almost. Mine was the twilight beige Aspencade. Trimmed about the same, but no shark gills or light rail. Had to get the Corbin seat, electronic cruise control, and a trailer from CalSidecar for the long trips.<br /><br />I see you have the Elite II rubber, good stuff. Mine came new with some cheap Dunlop Qualifiers. Wobbled all over the place when under 10 mph. Replaced them after the first year/4000.<br />Always a good ride, never in the shop in 5+ years.<br />But the bikes I miss are my 1986 BMW K100rt and my 1982 CB900SS. Looked at a 93 beemer yesterday. <br /><br /><br />JRJ, finger is ok, a bit of healing to do yet. Took 7 weeks to seal over, then break open, now a big scab.<br /><br />No kidding here. I did walk into a Hardees last week and halfway thru the meal is said, "Hey, where's my finger?" Did that turn heads !!

dolluper

Captain

Hit the black once at 65mph but it was my choice A bone head turned in front of me, geared down one gear hit the brakes,dropped her on the spare helmet and hit the B/h's tire and wheel with my helmet me and the bike bounced back, dislocated thumb and deep black road rash on the leathers,shattered Bell helmet and twisted front forks. I always buy the best helmet you can get now after that it's worth it I'm living proof and I do believe there was a bit of luck involved Too

Drowned Rat

Captain

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds it may curse me. :D <br /><br />Drowned Rat<<<< knocking furiously on wood.