Motor swap

Bondo

Staff member
is it possible to loose this much pressure ( Or any ) due to the dipstick housing not having a tight fit?,

Nope,.... Oil pressure is a direct relationship to bearin' clearances,....

Cold oil, aka: on the muffs is always higher than oil pressure on a workin', aka: loaded motor, as the oil heats up, 'n thins,...

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
No. That's not an oil galley. The only place to lose pressure is bad pump. Bad bearing bad lifter bore. Or a bad oil galley plug leak. Unfortunately you're options are run it not recommended. Or pull it and rebuild it. But confirm your readings with a mechanical gauge first.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the responses. Motor has 200 hours on it so I hope it's not bearings. Unlikely it's bearings. No noise even with stethoscope​ prior to or during loss of pressure. Only change is increased valve train chatter.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know it's not an oil galley . The theory is air gets sucked in and the oil pomp is affected.

Bondo

Staff member
The theory is air gets sucked in and the oil pomp is affected.

The dip stick enters the block in an air space, that's vented through the valve covers,....

Yer theory don't hold air,...

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lol. Not my theory but I see. So I'm out on the water and or was 50 psi after a few minutes it's 15 psi at cruise and about 5 psi at wot with mechanical gauge.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If it needs bearin's, Sure,...
But,.... Til it's torn down, 'n mic'ed ya don't know where the problem is,.....

flipbro

Don't sound good. Bondo is rite you will have to pull the engine and start checking clearness. Pay close attention to the cam bearings don't over look them.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well doc it seems terminal. Expletives #$&$####@???✓✓✓??%?@#$$$&&//?!!!**&$#@.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought this motor from a reputable area Marine . Should I expect a refund?

Bondo

Staff member
I bought this motor from a reputable area Marine . Should I expect a refund?

Ayuh,... You should be askin' Them, not Us,...

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,... You should be askin' Them, not Us,...
well.. i ask you all because im not used to dealing boat industry folks. and im asking whats the norm, what to expect, or should i expect a bug off mate/

flipbro

I would call them and explain the situation. See what they say.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The norm is same as pretty much all mechanical service industries - all over the map. Be honest and congenial and see what they say. There ain't no free lunches so don't expect one.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Free lunch. lol I bought a $600 anchor, wasnt free. he should make good if hes any kind of decent guy.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the guy stuck to his claim the motor ran fine when removed from the boat ( and i believe he believes that, but who knows)), he drove the boat without issue before he bought the motor he sold me. He insists the motor was fine when it left the shop and he doesnt know what i did to it but it was good when it left his hands. So i asked him " what could i have possibly have done to this motor that would cause it to never hold oil pressure from the first time i took it out"? he said well you installed it. Nothing could happen on install that could kill a motor that fast. He was toungue tied. Hes gonna run the boat and see if im full of **** that it wont hold oil pressure. Then im gonna take it back and put new oil pump in it, if that doesnt fix it. Were gonna try to work out a deal with a long block.But well see what that amounts to.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

no words. mt motor has a monster inside it. a huge tape worm in oil pump along with other trash.
Any ideas on what this tube is???

Attachments

• photo264287.jpg
    photo264287.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

R055

Chief Petty Officer
no words. mt motor has a monster inside it. a huge tape worm in oil pump along with other trash.
Any ideas on what this tube is???

Looks like you found the problem. No idea what that is though.