motor still not right! help!

tendollar

Seaman
1998 johnson 150 elecd 60*

problem: Once to temp it will fire up immediatly but will sneeze and die. Several attempts and it will stay ideling long enough to get on plane. Trying to trailer this thing is a nightmare.

I have read every post I can find of people with this same problem and no one ever seems to find a fix. Dont know were else to look?

1. compression > 110 all cyl
2. carbs clean
3. timing checked and adj
4. link/sync
5. new fuel lines/primer
6. anti syphon checked
7. plugs,wires new

D

DJ

Re: motor still not right! help!

"Sneeze" is indicative of a lean condition. You say the carb's are clean-define that.

The engine can also draw air in other places.

tendollar

Seaman

carbs clean: removed, tore down and cleaned with cleaner/air.

The one thing about this issue is it doesnt show up until the motor has been warmed up. If I were to take it out tomorrow morning it will run perfect until that sucker warms up.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It sounds very much like your primer solenoid is left on, flooding the engine when it is not needed after starting.

tendollar

Seaman

And how would one check that p/solenoid? 2 things I notice when it starts acting up is pushing the choke in when motor starts to die does nothing and I do get some fumes like its flooded.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

one nuther thing is, since you didn't mention carb kits, it's possible that worn float valves & seats let a little fuel past when you stop, creating a slightly flooded condition.