Motor still idles after shut off?

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser still ideling after shut off?

Doing a tune up is not called throwing parts at something... it's called preventative maintenence. It's also required by Mercruiser... not by me.

The suggestion I have (again) is "change only what is needed when it is needed". Preventative maintenance CLEARLY falls under my statement "when it is needed" Kalani938 don't let supposed technical help cause you to spend any more money and time than you need to in fixing the only fault/problem you are requesting help with. In the maintenance business a common term used when you can't pin point the problem you "shot gun it" with parts. Meaning you use a method that covers a wide area with hopes to hit the only real small cause. I can't say any of my fellow professionally trained & employed mechanics would be proud of when and if they did it. It is also why for some boat owners---boating owning is more expensive than it needs to be.
Yes parts costs have to be weighed against labor costs in doing a "shot gunning" method. But labor time is still directly connected to trouble shooting skill.

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice

Well, here's my delima. I purchased the boat used last October. I used it twice before I put it up for the winter. I stored it with half a tank of gas + stabil. Ran it a couple times last month and it did okay. I guess I should take it in for a tune-up b/c I have no idea when or if it has ever had a tune up? The boat is an 06' so it could be long overdue for one. I don't really know a whole lot about these boats since I am a fairly new owner when it comes to I/O engines. I would hate to take it in and spend a bunch of money if it's just a small adjustment or a fuel filter, but again, I wouldn't even know where to start?

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Motor still idles after shut off?

Well, here's my delima. I purchased the boat used last October. I used it twice before I put it up for the winter. I stored it with half a tank of gas + stabil. Ran it a couple times last month and it did okay. I guess I should take it in for a tune-up b/c I have no idea when or if it has ever had a tune up? The boat is an 06' so it could be long overdue for one. I don't really know a whole lot about these boats since I am a fairly new owner when it comes to I/O engines. I would hate to take it in and spend a bunch of money if it's just a small adjustment or a fuel filter, but again, I wouldn't even know where to start?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

dontask - I disagree on your concept of paralleling a tune-up with "shot gunning", especially in a boating context.

In many situations where you need to predict reliability of a mechanical thing well, you rebuild whether it needs it or not. Mining, oil, trucking all do this. Tear it down, rebuild it, run it for X hours, repeat. Boating is the same, unless of course the intent is to be randomly stuck out on the water.

Bondo

Staff member

but again, I wouldn't even know where to start?

Ayuh,....
Probably otta go up to the Adults Only section,+ download the Merc Manuals for your motor,+ drive....;)
Check out the other little Info gems up there too,...
Especially the Summerization post....

Bondo

Staff member

Dude,..... What are you Doing,..?? :eek:
You're confusing the board by running 2 Threads about the same Issue,...
That's Bad enough,....
You're using Copy & Paste to manage this....????
I just posted a reply to This,....

On your Other Thread............. :(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Merged the 2 threads together. Now the left hand will know what the right hand is doing

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about that guys................. I accidentally posted it originally on the wrong page. Then I posted it on the right page and then the wrong page was moved to this topic so now there is two. Then they were merged. My bad, stupid move on my part. :confused:

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Sorry about that guys................. I accidentally posted it originally on the wrong page. Then I posted it on the right page and then the wrong page was moved to this topic so now there is two. Then they were merged. My bad, stupid move on my part. :confused:

OK, now I'm dizzy....

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice

I thought you guys would like that!! Looks like I'm gonna call my local boat dealer that sales Tahoe boats and see if they will take a look at it for me. It's due for a tune up either way.

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice

Took it to the local marine shop today. Hopefully it isn't anything too major!

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How did it go for you? Is your problem corrected? Was it a timing issue?

Kalani 938

Seaman Apprentice

I wish I knew what was wrong with it. They said it would take them about a week before they got to my boat. I took it in exactly a week ago so we will see when they call. This is one of the things I hate about taking my boat in to get worked on. It seems to always turn into a waiting game. I will let you know what the problem was when I find out.