motor stalling, seems like not enough fuel..

Subtle

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1992 J25REND 25hp Johnson outboard that I've had problems with since I bought it. The bottom cylinder wouldn't fire, did a lot of stuff to it before i found it was the power pack causing the issue... not I got it running on both cylinders and it seems like its not getting enough fuel. I know I probably messed with something to cause this... Every time I start it it will run for a couple seconds then stall out. it wont restart unless you prime it again... so I'm thinking its not getting a constant supply. I cleaned carb yesterday before trying to start it with a brand new fuel tank and tank of gas mixed 50:1. and it idled for 5 mins no problem but today it just doesnt seem to want to run... im tired of putting money in this engine.. any advise would be great... I've only gotten to take the motor out on the water 2 times. the first time the kill switch was stuck in kill and i got stranded, the second time the damn power pack went out... I'm thinking i may have the float set to low. but like i said it ran for 5 mins yesterday with no issues before i cut it off so why today is it messed up again.. did i get more trash in the carb??? from a new tank of fuel that's in a brand new tank... i did put a fuel pump on it about 8 months ago in my trouble shooting process... maybe it needs to be cleaned idk

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Temperature, compression and spark checking out OK? Need about a half inch spark on both, using a tester.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Do you have a low speed needle in the carb if you do is it turned out to 1.5 turns from lightly seated that should get you started. If the float is to low to reset it hold the carb upside down and set the float to level. Would not worry about temp yet needs to run more than 5 min for that. But what is compression.

Last edited:

Subtle

Seaman Apprentice
Do you have a low speed needle in the carb if you do is it turned out to 1.5 turns from lightly seated that should get you started. If the float is to low to reset it hold the carb upside down and set the float to level. Would not worry about temp yet needs to run more than 5 min for that. But what is compression.

So, went out there pulled the carb apart, blew it all out and set the float to level, put back together and started it. it ran fine for 5 mins then stalled, tried to restart with no luck, primed it and started right up but stalled out... so i guess that all the stuff after my new tank and before the carb, needs to be pulled apart and cleaned... because it only runs about 5 mins after a carb cleaning... then it sucks up more trash and doesnt want to run anymore... id bet good money if i pulled it apart and cleaned it again id get a good 5 mins out of it before it happens again, rinse and repeat... guess ill pull all of it apart clean it all and see what happens... gonna need some beer for that... :very_drunk::frusty:

Last edited:

Subtle

Seaman Apprentice
yea, just took the primer apart it was all kinds of black crap in there, cleaned it up, it looks much better. i dont know if i should order new lines to try to clean the old... gonna clean filter and pump next, then carb and try it again. guess i need a new bulb too

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
sounds promising. If it were mine, I would try to clean out those '92 lines, as there shouldn't be fuel issues (disintegration), then the rest. Your call. Not sure about the bulb, but might be time. If you get it up and running, get it up to temp and let it run for a while (monitor temp for overheating, but want to be sure it warms up properly).

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Run it without the primer attached when they go bad they can flood the motor.

Subtle

Seaman Apprentice
I got it running correctly. I threw a fuel filter in after the fuel enters the cowling. Ran it for an hour no issues starts right back up without priming now too. Of course I had to clean pump, primer and carb. But she's purring like a kitten finally. Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited: