Motor slowly loses power

BF

Lieutenant
Re: Motor slowly loses power

like fireman said first, it sure sounds electrical to me. When you checked for spark, you tested when it was running lousy right, not when it was running well? (idling well with no load)...<br /><br />Also getting a shock isn't the best way to test. A spark tester is better, but I like a timing light to check spark and timing while running the best. Nice that it can be done while motor is on the boat and acting up (which is when spark might be intermittent).<br /><br />Having said this, it could be a dirty/clogged carb or other fuel problem... But when's the last time you serviced the points or had a peak at the coils?<br /><br />good luck<br /><br />Brent

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice

Answers to these questions<br />1) I'm running my motor at 1 pint (16 oz.) to 6 gallons. That's what my mechanic told me to run it at.<br /><br />2) Tank's vent is open and it's a new style tank with one line and primer bulb. I haven't tried a different tank or line.<br /><br />3) When I checked the spark it was idling in neutral with the flusher. The rest of your post, BF, was over my head. :D Besides the part about the clogged carb or other fuel system problem. Here's what's been done to my motor (that I know of). I don't think anyone has serviced the points or had a peak at the coils.

fireman57

Captain

When you are out on the water and it's starts messing up have a very good friend with some very insulated pliers pull a plug wire. If the rpms change then that cylinder is firing. If they change then replace that plug wire and pull the next one. If the rpms do not change then it is electrical (for now). Suspect points/condenser, bad coil, bad wires, or just bad plugs.

angus63

Captain

If your motor is a 1963, your mechanic is not well informed. Your motor is a 24:1 motor and the bearings will confirm this eventually. Try a different tank and fuel line with fresh 87 octane fuel and TC-W3 oil @ 24:1 before throwing parts and money at it. A simple clogged fuel line will still give you the same problem with all new ignition parts. Use a new plug (champion) to rule out the cheap, simple stuff first.<br />Good luck

txswinner

Banned

Sounds simple but do you have a fuel filter, if so clean or replace it. It may be partially plugged so enough gas a low speed but not when throttle is up and trash plugs the filter.

txswinner

Banned

Oh yeah and if you are like me, think twice before overhauling that carb unless you are good at mechanics. I have found the best way to turn a bad running engine into an anchor is for me to take something on it apart!!

fireman57

Captain

Okay so we have eliminated spark as the issue. Has to be fuel. Carb rebuild on a small outboard is a pretty easy task. What is the worse that can happen? You take it to the dealer in a box? Don't be scared of it. Get an OMC manual and the kit. Soak it good in carb cleaner and make sure you blow all the orifices out with air.

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice

I have a question..While taking the fuel filter of my motor so sproket looking thing fell out of somewhere. Does this go in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl under the filter element? I'm not sure where this thing goes. My service manual dosen't show it.

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice

nvm..after looking at it i see that it goes under the element to screw into the top part of the filter.

fireman57

Captain

Glad you found it. Pretty quickly too! Only two minutes.

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice

lol yeah...I looked at it better and notices there were threads in the hole of the "sproket". I have another question though...kind of a SHT too. When I took the filter off, I thought I remembered how the lines when back on but I'm not sure..On the filter theres a low barb and a high barb. Which barb should go the carb and which barb goes to the fuel pump. Hopefully someone with a similair engine can tell me.

gmcjohnny

Cadet

you should be fine with the 50;1 mix in 63 it was old school thinking an the oil was a poor quality if you realy want it to last run amsoil @ 50:1 the amsoil will help clean the inside parts an rings

fireman57

Captain

Just guessing I would say that the fuel from the tank should go in the high barb so it can go through the filter and come out the low barb to the carb. Easy to test though, just hook it up. If it doesn't work then reverse them.

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice

That's what I think but I don't exactly get how it works..both barbs at at the top of the filter, just one is higher than the other. Here's a quick picture I drew.<br /><br />
fuelfilter7yt.jpg

lowbud

Seaman Apprentice

Install it so that the dirt falls to the bottom of the bowl (on the outside of the filter screen). My guess is the lower barb near the center goes to carbs.

CATransplant

Admiral

"you should be fine with the 50;1 mix in 63 it was old school thinking an the oil was a poor quality if you realy want it to last run amsoil @ 50:1 the amsoil will help clean the inside parts an rings "<br />==========================================<br /><br />Hmmm....do you sell Amsoil or something? The advice from all the old-timers and experts here, some with thousands of posts, is to run these older johnnyrudes at 24:1. They're right. So, let me ask you a question? Is this Amsoil TCW-3 rated? If not, why not?

angus63

Captain

Hey CA<br />Check out my post about a week ago.<br />Could of saved some time and effort if the response was heeded. <br />Hey Dan<br />The factory OMC manual for 1963 says mix 24:1<br />The factory OMC manual for 1964 says mix it 50:1 BUT ALL MOTORS PREVIOUS MUST REMAIN AT 24:1.<br />Now you can make up your own mind, or let the motor make the decision eventually and emphatically. Do try another tank and fuel line before tearing carbs apart. Try the easy stuff first unless you plan to replace everything.<br />Good luck