motor size?

ssbullock

Cadet
Hey I have been resto'ing a boat its a 14' aluminum starcraft, its a falcon 14 to be exact. I have been looking to find a motor to put on the boat. the boat is rated for I believe 45hp. However this resto I am putting in 2'' box aluminum stringers from side to side basically front to back for some flatdecking etc. So it will be some solid boat after everything is all said and done. As far as motors go I have been searching for a 45 or 50hp to put on. However I have came across a good deal on a 65hp 1975 merc. running condition controls etc. for a really good price. Would this engine be to big for the boat. I am not worried about speed wise cause I am smart enough to drive at a reasonable speed that the boat is capable of handling. My main concern is if it would weigh to much and give the boat a weird pitch etc. and be hard to get up on plane etc. If any of you have any insight if this is an ok idea and I should go for the deal or if I should pass and keep looking.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer
Re: motor size?

There legal issues at hand but ill bypass those and ask if the motor weighs the same as a 45hp. If It weighs around the same I would say go for it mainly because its a fishing boat and I wouldn't guess you would have many people aboard. Just remember if you crash they may use your overpowered boat to lay claim to all your stuff. If it was just me fishing and cruising I would do it but if you plan on passengers I wouldn't. check nada.com for outboard weights.

ssbullock

Cadet

it is just a fishing boat for me and my buddy, so only two people ever on the boat.

ssbullock

Cadet

the weight difference between the average 40 and 65 is about 50lbs if not less. not sure how much that would effect the boat.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

If the transom is reinforced during the rebuild I don't see a problem but like I said its a big risk if you get into an accident. It is hard to say what effect 50lbs will have on your setup because 14' is pretty small. If its a steal of a deal I would buy it try it and if it didnt work out sell and repower. I have heavily overpowered boats but they have been for racing and only had one seat.