Motor rewire

vega43

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
2
I am replacing 2 motors.

Old: Force 125 HP Model 1253X9B 1988

New: Force 120 HP Model EXLP1 1997

I have the SELOC Force Outboards 84-99 Repair Manual and I want to rewire the new motors using the existing wiring cable from the old. I'm seeing too many wiring diagrams and am getting a little confused.

Can someone easily walk me thru this. Thanks
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Motor rewire

Your old motor is a 1989 model.

It has a neutral interlock safety switch on the motor.

The new motor does not. It needs the newer controls that have the neutral safety located in the controls.

So, if you wire it up with the wrong controls, you will have no neutral safety, and it will be dangerous as heck.

Also, the kill switch wires are different.
I'm pretty sure the new motor uses a single wire to ground.
While the old motor used 2 wires in the harness, connecting them to kill the motor.

In Seloc:
wiring diagram for the old motor is on the top of page 5-72
wiring diagram for the new motor is on bottom of page 5-68

Of course the diagrams are so small that I can't read them.

They are twice as big in the Clymer manual.
There the 120 diagram is on page 601, and the 125 diagram is on page 603.

Here is the best I can figure:
old motor wire: new motor wire: what it is for:
black ....................... black ............................. ground
purple ..................... gray .............................. tach pulse
green ...................... yelo / black stripe ............ Choke
yelo / black ... to
neutral safety ........... yelo / red ....................... starter solenoid
red ........................... red / purple .................. power from main fuse
white and blue .......... black / yelo ................... ignition kill
orange ...................... tan / light blue ................ temp sensor

I would get the proper controls. And then you might as well get the proper cable to go with it.

Good Luck
 
Top