Motor over rev pls help

Zjb187

Cadet
I have a 2005 25 hp yamaha 4 stroke wot is getting 6200 rpm manufacture suggested is 5500 max is 6000 ... The prop I have on is size 9 7/8 x 10 1/2 F can anyone suggest a prop size that will be safe yet keep a good top speed? Not so conserned about hole shot thanks a lot

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Motor over rev pls help

you likely only need to go up one pitch size...If you're running a 10 now likely the next larger is a 12 or 13. you're not fa4 off at all but I'd much prefer to keep it a hunred or so rpm below max.

hwsiii

Commander

You also might try reading this for a better understanding of changing props for better performance, and the second one for what the major differences are between aluminum props and stainless steel.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=366160

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365653

Z, in my opinion, running your motor at 6,200 RPM is not hurting it, as the recommended factory RPM are 5,000 to 6,000, and you are only exceeding that by 3%. If it really bothers you though you can either have a prop shop take out 1/2" of pitch or you can buy an 11" pitch prop in the exact same manufacturer and model of prop you have now, doing this should lower your RPM to about 5,900. If you even change models from the same manufacturer you will be getting a prop with different prop geometry and that makes it a total new ball game. If you are getting a prop slip of about 10% you should be doing right at 23 MPH with this combination at 6,200 RPM, and if you are getting less than 20 MPH at 6,200 you need to change the model of prop you are using. Here are the numbers to backup my recommendation.

Prop Pith hange

Zjb187Prophange.jpg

H

Zjb187

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys.. As long as 6200 isn't hurting anything I'm fine with it.. I just always here not to go past the max rpm but like u said 200 isn't that bad.. I still need to get a new prop because mine is pretty bad.. So it wouldn't hurt to get the same size? It's on a Carolina skiff 16ft by myself I get 26.5 mph

Bondo

Staff member

So it wouldn't hurt to get the same size?

Ayuh,... Or, step up the the next taller pitch,... It's possible you might pick up another mph or 2....