Motor Mount Adjustment Question

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
I am adjusting the alignment on the 2014 4.3 MPI. The bar is showing grease spines on the top and nothing on the bottom and bar is not going in smoothly like it should. Don S has a great right up but doesn't say if i need to loosen the rear motor mounts to adjust the front, or I just missed it in there. I have not done that before but doesn't mean I was doing it right. Can i just adjust the front and leave the rear mounts tight? On the 4.3 mounts do I just loosen one nut than adjust with the other? i.e.. to take the engine down I loosen the bottom nut and adjust using the top nut from each side?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
torque the rear mounts first, then adjust the front for engine alignment

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You need to leave the rear bolts fully tight. There are through rubber mounts, so there is well enough compliance. If you loosen the rear mounts they can move (up) and give you a false reading.

Grease at the top of the bar indicates the engine is too far up, lower the side mounts. Loosen the top locking nut, and adjust, evenly (same on both sides) the bottom nut until the alignment is correct. Tighten the locking nut down and recheck the alignment. If it's still good (it should be) then throw the drive back on...

Chris........

Last edited:

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
Chris looking at the diagram, if I just loose the top nut wont the motor start dropping before even touching the bottom nut?

Attachments

• boat mount.PNG
    boat mount.PNG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1

achris

Chris looking at the diagram, if I just loose the top nut wont the motor start dropping before even touching the bottom nut?

??? No, the weight is already on the bottom nut... the top nut just locks it all in place...

Chris.........

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
I went out and looked at it and I see what your saying Chris. What I was thinking was the mount in the picture was attached to the stringer and the stub was attached to the engine. If you loosen the top bolt the stud will drop down in into the mount. I should have taken a better look at mine before posting that question. That you guys.

One more question, the locking tab on the bottom motor mount nut feels like it fits around the bottom nut. In the picture it looks flat. Does that locking tab go over the nut? That's what makes sense, it goes over it than the tab is bent up to the mount to keep the nut from moving.

achris

The bottom locking tab starts life flat, with one 'leg' bent up. That leg 'locks' up against the mount (#1 in the picture), then once the alignment is set and correct, after the top nut is tightened down, another leg of the locking tab should be bent down, to lock the bottom nut. Some mechanics do bend the leg down, some don't. Personally, if the top nut is tightened down, with the spring washer in place, I don't see a need to bend the locking tab. I don't bend them down (mainly because it's a b1tch to bend it up again if the alignment needs to be changed).... It's usually down in a bilge where you can't see a damn thing. :facepalm:

HTH,

Chris.........