Motor has power, won’t turn over

Haddakin

Recruit
Volvo Penta 5.0GL in a Crownline 202:
2 days ago we were on the water and the boat was running great. We stopped for a bit and turned the engine off. 30 minutes later we started it back up and I gave it near WOT. After about 10 seconds the boat shut down. I tried to restart it and it turned over a few times but wouldn’t crank. Then it stopped turning over all together. Battery reads 12.5 volts. All gauges are getting power, motor beeps in the “ON” key position. But when I turn the key to fire it up, nothing. I can hear the fuel pump. But no starter click or anything. Kill switch looks fine. I wiggled the throttle to make sure it’s recognizing neutral, still nothing. Any ideas?

itsathepete

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can you turn the motor over by hand?
This is the first thing to test. Put a socket on the crank pulley and turn it clockwise. If it won't go or it's really tight, your engine might be locked up and be toast. Check the oil, make sure you didn't run it dry. If it turns, you will develop compression. Pull the spark plugs and make sure no water got in and see if the starter will turn it over. If it turns freely by hand but the starter won't turn it, you either have a bad starter or bad battery or bad connections.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
This is the first thing to test. Put a socket on the crank pulley and turn it clockwise.
And you will regret this method for life after you break the nose bolt in the crankshaft

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Kill switch isn't part of the Starter Circuit, just the Ignition Circuit.

Take out the Spark Plugs and see if it cranks and spits water out

Other checks, Battery even though a Battery may show enough Voltage, if it can't produce/provide enough Current, the starter isn't going to crank, so all connections on Battery and Starter need to be clean, and Tight, the Cable and their Connectors have to be in good condition.
If the Neutral Interlock is defective, all the wiggling in the world of the gearshift lever won't do anything, Place a Jumper across it.
The Key Switch may have Broken. Try jumping the Terminals that send power to the Starter. If you try to Put a Cable from the Battery directly to the Starter. I will suggest you have the Battery out and away from the Boat, Connect the Jumpers to the Starter and the Ground, and then connect the Battery, You Do NOT want ANY Sparks in the Bilge, it could be Bye Bye

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This is the first thing to test. Put a socket on the crank pulley and turn it clockwise. If it won't go or it's really tight, your engine might be locked up and be toast.
never do this to a GM motor. you will strip the crank bolt threads out before you turn the motor over.

always turn from the crank keyway by either removing the harmonic damper and using a crank socket, or by turning from the front pulley bolts or by using the flywheel teeth.

itsathepete

Petty Officer 1st Class
never do this to a GM motor. you will strip the crank bolt threads out before you turn the motor over.

always turn from the crank keyway by either removing the harmonic damper and using a crank socket, or by turning from the front pulley bolts or by using the flywheel teeth.
I have done this my whole life and never stripped one out. But I'm not recommending it for unseizing a stuck engine but simply to determine if it is seized or if it rotates

jomamma1

Cadet
Volvo Penta 5.0GL in a Crownline 202:
2 days ago we were on the water and the boat was running great. We stopped for a bit and turned the engine off. 30 minutes later we started it back up and I gave it near WOT. After about 10 seconds the boat shut down. I tried to restart it and it turned over a few times but wouldn’t crank. Then it stopped turning over all together. Battery reads 12.5 volts. All gauges are getting power, motor beeps in the “ON” key position. But when I turn the key to fire it up, nothing. I can hear the fuel pump. But no starter click or anything. Kill switch looks fine. I wiggled the throttle to make sure it’s recognizing neutral, still nothing. Any ideas?
Hi...did you figure out your issue???

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
You need a DVM and do some digging around. I would start at the starter solenoid. You will need a second person.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FYI, the one-post OP hasn't been back in over 3 months. Seriously doubt he/she will return