motor angle on pontoon

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm trying to figure out if the motor is at the right angle when it is in the water. The pictures here are with the boating setting on the trailer, is it down too far or is this where it should be when in the water? When I put it in the water how do I know where it should in relationship to the boat?

Attachments

• photo318432.jpg
    photo318432.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo318433.jpg
    photo318433.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 0

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Assuming your transom plate hasnt been bent, your fine.. just run it and trim it up a little if you feel you need to... unless your running WOT and trying to maximize your speed by trimming it up... you dont need to be concerned...

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Motor height is not the same as trim angle, so lets do them one at a time. First, the customary height for the motor is so the anti-ventilation / cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the engine pod (i.e., the large structure that supports the transom and motor. From your pictures it appears that your motor is 3-4 inches too low. That will increase drag and reduce your top speed. If you can easily raise the motor on the transom, try it higher and see if the performance changes. ... Second, if you have power trim, you can adjust the motor underway until you get the optimum speed and steering for whatever power setting you are using at the moment. If you don't have power trim, I suggest you start by setting the axis of the propeller so it is parallel to the bottom of the boat, and try it out. If you want the front of the boat to ride higher underway, adjust the motor so the propeller is farther aft and points slightly upward. Reverse that if you want the front to ride lower.