Motor and Tilt stopped working - other electronics good

mobisware

Cadet
Everything was working fine. But the main power switch was left on for a few days (during heavy rain). Now the motor does not turn over or even click. Tilt trim does not move or make a sound. However, lights, radios, bilge etc. all work fine I checked all the fuses I could find under the center console, no visible issues. I swapped fuses and tested with and without to determine what was being used for each fuse but did not find an issue. The battery was at 11.8 vdc, after a short period on the charger it was back up to 12.4 vdc. I reconnected the battery but still the same issue. Motor is a '92 Yamaha with CMC tilt.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Everything was working fine. But the main power switch was left on for a few days (during heavy rain). Now the motor does not turn over or even click. Tilt trim does not move or make a sound. However, lights, radios, bilge etc. all work fine I checked all the fuses I could find under the center console, no visible issues. I swapped fuses and tested with and without to determine what was being used for each fuse but did not find an issue. The battery was at 11.8 vdc, after a short period on the charger it was back up to 12.4 vdc. I reconnected the battery but still the same issue. Motor is a '92 Yamaha with CMC tilt.
Your battery is dead. Have the battery load tested to confirm the prognosis

A good, fully charged 12 volt battery is 12.7 volts. A battery is “dead” at 12.0 volts.

A 12.4 surface charge isn’t going to cut it

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally the starter solenoid and the trim/tilt are connected to the battery in the engine harness. A lot of motors have main fuses on that circuit.
The boat accessories are fused via a fuse block under the dashboard.

Who know how the CMC unit is fused, however, I would be looking for a blown fuse under the engine cowling,

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Agree with dingbat, battery is dead. Measure the battery voltage while cranking the motor.

mobisware

Cadet
Your battery is dead. Have the battery load tested to confirm the prognosis

A good, fully charged 12 volt battery is 12.7 volts. A battery is “dead” at 12.0 volts.

A 12.4 surface charge isn’t going to cut it
Ok, I thought 12.0 was enough to get at lease a click. I'll check the battery. Thanks.

mobisware

Cadet
Normally the starter solenoid and the trim/tilt are connected to the battery in the engine harness. A lot of motors have main fuses on that circuit.

Who know how the CMC unit is fused, however, I would be looking for a blown fuse under the engine cowling,
Ok, I'll check under the cowling

mobisware

Cadet

I found a 20 amp fuse under the cowling that was blown. Everything is working now. Thanks!