More U-joint knocking?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
So had a (ahem) small issue with my u-joints last month when the clip fell off. At that time replaced just the drive side joint. The drive was new to me, and both joints were replaced prior to the start of the season. It's started clicking again, getting worse, though still only on fairly hard turns. Not sure it ever entirely went away; trim up full turn still made a bit of noise. They were replaced with Moog 315's, which I've used in the past. After leaving the plug out last week (doh!), I pulled the drive a few days ago just to check for water (none). The joints looked fine, felt a little loose but I think it's pretty tough to tell. I should have greased them but didn't. Gimbal bearing was fine (replaced last season). The drive has clicked since day 1, but otherwise seems fine. Seals replaced, pressure tested, lube looks fine. Wondering if I have something else going on that I'm missing?

alldodge

Staff member
If you notice/feel any play in the U joints they need to be replaced

Gimbal should feel smooth as silk when turned with your fingers

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I've also noticed on my drive that it makes a little extra noise when turned fully to one side or the other, even with brand new u-joints... Makes me think its normal

nola mike

Vice Admiral
If you notice/feel any play in the U joints they need to be replaced

Gimbal should feel smooth as silk when turned with your fingers
No, I didn't notice any play, though they felt loose (nothing unusual though). Gimbal was fine. Gimbal replaced last year during engine swap, Ujoints as mentioned were replaced prior to this season, with one set replaced again last month after the clip came off.
I've also noticed on my drive that it makes a little extra noise when turned fully to one side or the other, even with brand new u-joints... Makes me think its normal
Yeah, IDK. Don't recall that being the case in the past. Wondering if the new drive is the issue, bent yoke or input shaft or something. Probably going to have to swap the old drive on again and see if it resolves.

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
So had a (ahem) small issue with my u-joints last month when the clip fell off. At that time replaced just the drive side joint. The drive was new to me, and both joints were replaced prior to the start of the season. It's started clicking again, getting worse, though still only on fairly hard turns. Not sure it ever entirely went away; trim up full turn still made a bit of noise. They were replaced with Moog 315's, which I've used in the past. After leaving the plug out last week (doh!), I pulled the drive a few days ago just to check for water (none). The joints looked fine, felt a little loose but I think it's pretty tough to tell. I should have greased them but didn't. Gimbal bearing was fine (replaced last season). The drive has clicked since day 1, but otherwise seems fine. Seals replaced, pressure tested, lube looks fine. Wondering if I have something else going on that I'm missing?
Mine also make some noise when turning to full-stop left or right. Also if I've trimmed it too far up it will also start to make some noise. They feel rock solid so I think this is normal for extreme angles. Like others have stated, if they have any play in them at all it's time to replace. If one breaks while underway it will do some nasty damage and possibly lead to a total loss.

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Ive replaced UJoints before this season, will check if have any noises on lock to lock