More than you ever wanted to know about...and were afraid to ask!!!

spratt

Lieutenant
Long post, but definitely worth the read!!! This could be a life saving post for some who have never read up on this subject!!! At the end of the read, is the link to complete your education...<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br /><br />Could you tell me the effects of long-term laxative use on your body?<br />Long-term use of laxatives can damage nerve cells in the colon, interfering with its ability to contract, and thus making it harder to pass stools. Also, when you take laxatives regularly, your bowel muscles can become accustomed to responding to signals from the laxative rather than from your body. That, in turn, can cause you to become constipated when you stop taking the laxative, leading to a cycle of dependence. Furthermore, chronic use of mineral oil, often used as a laxative, can deplete the body of fat- soluble vitamins, namely A, D, E and K. <br /><br />Americans spend $725 million a year on laxatives, and in most cases this is an unnecessary expenditure. For instance, many people believe they are constipated if they do not have a bowel movement every day. That simply isn't so. Normal frequency of bowel movements varies from person to person and can mean anything from three times a day to three times a week. <br /><br />True symptoms of constipation include dramatic changes in bowel habits or continual, painful straining to eliminate small, hard stools. In some cases, such symptoms can be signs of an underlying problem like an internal obstruction. If you experience these symptoms, you should consult your physician. <br /><br />More commonly, however, constipation results from poor diet, lack of exercise or other lifestyle factors. Ignoring the need for a bowel movement, for example, can cause constipation because the stool that should have been passed sits in the large intestine, where water is drawn away from it. The stool then becomes harder and dryer and more difficult to pass. <br /><br />To relieve constipation without laxatives (and to help prevent it occurring in the first place), try the following remedies: <br /><br />1. Eat plenty of fiber. Insoluble fiber, found in relatively high levels in foods like whole wheat and bran, adds bulk to stools and decreases the amount of time it takes for waste to pass through the intestine. And soluble fiber, more abundant in fruits and vegetables, acts like a sponge to attract water, forming softer stools that are easier to pass. <br /><br />2. Drink plenty of fluids — at least eight 8-ounce glasses a day. Liquids add fluid to the colon and bulk to the stool. Plenty of water and other liquids are particularly important if you are consuming a high-fiber diet to avoid causing constipation. Fiber and fluid together are what help keep things moving smoothly. <br /><br />3. Keep active. The muscles in the large intestine seem to work better when other muscles in the body are exercised. <br /><br />Types of Laxatives<br />Bulk-forming<br />By absorbing water in the intestine, bulk-forming laxatives increase the volume and softness of faeces.<br /><br />Stimulant<br />These drugs stimulate the wall of the intestine to contract, thereby quickening the time it takes to pass faeces.<br /><br />Lubricant<br />Lubricant laxatives soften faeces and therefore make them easier to pass.<br /><br />Osmotic<br />Osmotic laxatives cause fluid to be retained in the intestine, which increases the water content and volume of the faeces.<br /><br />things lax can do to you that makes it not worth your while:<br />· make you think you've lost weight, but it's really just water and minerals<br />· only empties your colon, not the small intestine and stomach where most calories are absorbed<br />· bloat you<br />· make you addicted, b/c you want to get rid of the<br />bloating and feel empty<br />· screw your electrolytes up<br />· nauseate you<br />· give you horrid heartburn<br />· have you ever burped up laxatives? blaaaaah!<br />· make your skin break out<br />· make your eyes bloodshot<br />· give you headaches<br />· give you irregular heartbeat<br />· make you black out/pass out<br />· cause you to lose control of your bowels in your sleep<br />· cause you to lose control of your bowels while doing things like exercising<br />· cause you to lose control of your bowels whenever!!<br />· give you horrible cramps<br />· diarrhea for up to 3 days<br />· constipate you really bad when you stop<br />· give you a heart attack<br />· make you smell bad<br />· make your toilet filthy (although if you're vomiting already, which is worse than lax btw, that's probably something you're used to)<br />· give you back pains<br />· cause varicose veins<br />· cause your intestines to lose their motility, possibly forever<br />· just generally make you feel terrible<br />· make you not want to go out b/c you're too busy crapping your guts out<br />· you never know when they'll kick in<br />· cause hemmorhoids/rectal bleeding<br />· cause you to GAIN weight<br />· ruin your good undies<br />· make you gassy<br />· make your intestines make loud noises whenever they want<br />· make you make godawful noises when you're on the toilet<br />· kill you<br /><br />Can laxatives show up in urine tests?<br />more info at the following links:<br /> http://www.leeds.ac.uk/acb/annals/annals_pdf/Jan00/ACB1.PDF <br /> http://www.toxlab.co.uk/laxative.htm <br /> http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band8/b8-2.html <br /><br />What to expect with laxative withdrawals<br />There is no way to predict exactly how stopping laxatives will affect you. For example, the amount or length of time laxatives have been used is not an indicator of how severe the withdrawal symptoms will be. The best way to lessen the unpleasant effects of laxative withdrawal is to prepare yourself for these effects and to develop an action plan for coping in case the unpleasant side effects do occur. <br /><br />Common side effects of laxative withdrawal are:<br />+ constipation + fluid retention + feeling bloated + temporary weight gain <br /><br />Just reading this list, you can see that laxative withdrawal is especially difficult for people with eating disorders. You already are highly reactive to "feeling fat" and the symptoms of laxative withdrawal only worsen this feeling. To help you get through the process of laxative withdrawal, it is essential to remember that any weight gain associated with laxative withdrawal is only temporary. Symptoms of laxative withdrawal do not lead to permanent weight gain. <br /><br />How long will laxative withdrawal last? This varies greatly. A few people have these symptoms for 2 days; a few others have had them for 2 to 3 months. Most people have symptoms of laxative abuse for 1 to 3 weeks after stopping laxatives. <br /><br />Myth's and Facts<br />MYTH: If you induce diarrhea with laxatives, you can prevent the absorption of food and avoid body weight gain. <br />FACT: Inducing diarrhea by laxatives does not significantly change the absorption of food in the body. Consequently, laxatives do not significantly prevent weight gain. What appears to be weight loss is actually dehydration or water deprivation. Laxatives work near the end of the bowel, where they primarily affect absorption of water and electrolytes (like sodium and potassium). They thus work after most of the nutrients from the food have been absorbed into the body. <br /><br />MYTH: You need to use a laxative every time you feel constipated. <br />FACT: "Feeling" constipated does not necessarily mean that you are constipated. This is especially true of people who have problems with eating. Eating too little food or eating sporadically can result in the sensation of constipation. In this case the problem is not constipation but poor eating habits. <br /><br />MYTH: When you actually are constipated, you need to use a laxative. <br />FACT: People who use excessive amounts of laxatives will eventually find the exact opposite happeningÑthe laxatives will cause reflex constipation. <br /><br />MYTH: Laxatives, particularly over-the-counter products, are safe. <br />FACT: Laxative abuse can be medically dangerous. Laxative abuse is defined as (1) use of laxative for weight control, or (2) frequent use of laxatives over an extended period of time. <br /><br />Medical Complications of Laxative Abuse<br />The medical complications of laxative abuse depend on several factors, including the type of laxatives used, the amount used, and how long they have been used. Some of the more common complications of laxative abuse follow. <br /><br />Constipation. Repeated use of laxatives actually causes constipation. This may lead people to increase the dosage of the amount of laxative, which in turn only worsens the constipation problem. <br /><br />Dehydration. Laxatives cause fluid loss through the intestines. Dehydration then impairs body functioning. <br /><br />Electrolyte abnormalities. Many people who abuse laxatives often demonstrate electrolyte imbalances. Electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, and chloride are important to life functions. With chronic diarrhea, electrolytes are drawn out of the body through the feces. This leads to an electrolyte imbalance in the body. <br /><br />Edema. As noted before, laxatives cause fluid loss. Dramatic changes or fluctuations in fluid balance confuse the bodyÕs self-regulating protective mechanisms by retaining fluid. As a result, prolonged laxative abuse frequently leads to fluid retention or edema. <br /><br />Bleeding. People who abuse laxatives, especially the stimulant-type laxatives, can develop blood in their stools. Chronic blood loss associated with laxative abuse can lead to anemia. <br /><br />Impaired bowel function. People who abuse stimulant-type laxatives can develop permanent impairment of bowel function.<br /><br />How to Stop Abusing Laxatives <br />People who abuse laxatives often find themselves in a no-win situation. They use laxatives to "feel thin," which is an immediate, positive result. Eventually, however, the exact opposite occurs. They find themselves "feeling fat" from excessive water retentionÑa delayed, negative result. Here are some steps to stop abusing laxatives: <br /><br />1. Stop taking laxatives right now, and do not take any more unless your physician instructs you to do so. Remember that stimulant-type laxatives are especially harmful to the body (see the reverse side). <br /><br />2. Drink at least 6 to 10 cups of water (and decaffeinated beveragesÑnot caffeinated beverages because they act like a diuretic, promoting loss of fluid) a day. Restricting your fluid intake at this time promotes dehydration and only worsens the constipation. <br /><br />3. Including some physical activity in your regular daily pattern can also help to regulate your bowel function, although you should discuss the intensity and type of activity first with your health care provider or therapist. Too much or too vigorous exercise can worsen constipation, due to the effects on your metabolism and fluid balance. <br /><br />4. Eat regularly. It is important that you spread the amount of food recommended to you on your meal plan across at least 3 meals a day, and to eat these meals at regular intervals. <br /><br />5. Eat more foods that promote normal bowel movements. The healthiest dietary approach to promoting normal bowel function is to eat more whole-grain breads, cereals, and crackers and wheat bran or foods with wheat bran added. This dietary approach should be done in tandem with drinking more fluids. Vegetables and fruits also contribute to normal bowel function. Prunes and prune juice are not recommended because the ingredient in prunes that promotes bowel movements is actually an irritant laxative, and long-term use of prunes and prune juice can result in the same problem as long-term use of laxatives. <br /><br />6. Write down the frequency of your bowel movements on a sheet of paper. If you are constipated for more than 3 days, call your physician, dietitian, or psychotherapist. <br /><br /><br /> http://www.house-of-sins.com/bathroom/laxatives.php

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: More than you ever wanted to know about...and were afraid to ask!!!

All this is leading to what? Is someone somewhere impling we are full of ****? <br /> :D :D :D

ehenry

Commander

Flatbottoms, you aint got much to do today do ya?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My eyes hurt. :(

aspeck

Staff member

Darn, there goes my laxative stock, right down the drain!<br /><br />Now I know why Flatbottoms got his name - too much sittin!

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> Darn, there goes my laxative stock, right down the drain!<br /><br />Now I know why Flatbottoms got his name - too much sittin!
yeah, what a load of crap :p :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have found that if things are a bit difficult, a Dr Pepper gets it done. Works every time for me....

sangerwaker

Commander

Espresso keeps me....ummm...regular.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

You are correct. Much more than I ever wanted to know.

spratt

Lieutenant

Hey, gets yer post count up...keep on postin'!!! I don't even remember how I came across that one!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

Oh yeah, I remember now!!! I was reading the thread about colonoscopies!! So I did some researchin and found that site somehow!! I knew all y'all would jest luv it!!!

Twidget

Commander

You all know the definition of paranoia dont you? Cup of coffee, bran muffin and a traffic jam.<br /><br />You want to get real regular real quick? Eat my step mothers cooking. I know it sounds mean, but its a running family joke(her side included). It brings a whole new meaning to the term eat and run.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

McDonalds works for me...

dolluper

Captain

Was that all in one breath whaaaaaa

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Holy bat sh!t, Batman! That's enough info to scare the livin' cr@p outta ya! :p

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br /> If you are constipated for more than 3 days, call your physician, dietitian, or psychotherapist. <br /> http://www.house-of-sins.com/bathroom/laxatives.php
What's a psychotherapist going to do to fix constipation? Put you in touch with your inner bowel and overcome bowel repression?<br /><br />Opticians can help with bowel problems.<br /><br />This bloke goes into an optician's shop and asks if the optician can help him.<br /><br />What with? asks the optician.<br /><br />The bloke puts a huge suitcase on the counter and opens it. It is full of you know what, and real smelly too. Must be a hundred pounds of it. <br /><br />The optician is outraged. Tells the bloke to get out and take his filthy suitcase with him.<br /><br />The bloke begs not to be thrown out, because he needs the optician's help desperately.<br /><br />What do you think I can do to help you with THAT? says the optician.<br /><br />I do that every morning, says the bloke.<br /><br />You've got to be kidding says the optician. A herd of elephants couldn't do that in a morning.<br /><br />I do, says the bloke, regular as clockwork.<br /><br />The optician says: What on earth do you think I can do to help you with that?<br /><br />The bloke says: Well, every time I do it, it makes my eyes water.

crab bait

Captain

yeah, but all that info an not nary apart that answers my age-old question..<br /><br />why do some float an some sink..

spratt

Lieutenant

Crab, b'lieve it or not, do a Google on that subject...it IS there!!! After some of that reading, you will NEVER wanna ask again...

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Someone somewhere is constipated just from reading all that.