More Ramp antics / etiquette

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Ok we,ve all read the posts about ramp antics and such....dummies at the dock, newbies that put thier truck in the water over the frt tires and all such stuff.....

this is'nt so much one of those stories...

One day at busy Calleville Marina on Lake Mead here in NV, there was some congestion at the ramp, due to one side of the dockside ramp was blocked off with cones for repairs etc etc...so theres 2 spots to launch...one was water and the other one dockside water...the open water spot was in use by a HUGE boat...they were taking some time to launch...ok OPEN SPOT! right next to the dock...

anyways we are 6 cars back waiting to launch...Im wondering what the hold up is...lolly gagging...whats going on....
...and I see some woman driving an SUV and attempting to back a 20ft old school bow-rider all faded gel etc with an omc stringer drive, into the water...and there were 3 other older ladies in her boat during all of this.......well after jackknifing it at low speed about 4 times, then almost hitting a truck with her boat in the waiting line...pulling fwd and back, not getting the backing up thing at all........

I put my truck in park, set the brake and commenced to walk over to her to see if she needed assistance. Mind you there were 6 other trucks with people all around .....people on the dock, people on the ramp etc etc..you get the picture.....and they were much closer than I was. She says YES I need help, so I first attempt to talk her through backing up a trailer as best I could...she just WASN'T GETTING IT...no problem, I ask her if she would like ME to back her truck/boat/trailer into the water for her....she says YES with a smile!

now I could have made her sign a no liability waiver in case I damaged her boat yadda yadda yadda...but then whats life without risks.... needless to say after 30 seconds her boat was in the water floating, I pulled her trailer out up to where she was standing and she went and parked her truck.

The help I offered, saved everyone at the dock a good 5-10 minutes or more
..(you're welcome)... my point, be a good samaritan or offer assistance and help whenever possible, we're a small family of fellow boaters, we are all we've got out there on the water....

I can't tell you how many times I've kept boats from ramming a dock, floating away, jumped into the water at the ramp to help a newbie crew load a boat, offer help, on multiple occcasions we've jumped into the back of peoples pickups becase they couldnt get traction getting off the ramp at the water line area etc etc etc....
We've given jump starts, we've towed about 10 boats back to the docks in the past 3 season, when someone is setting with eng box up in the middle of the lake we go to thier aid....many times they are just checking something and don't need help...but it's the fact that if they DID need help, they would be very grateful. :D

We all know theirs those people that are too ignorant to ask for help, too ignorant to want your help and some can be rude or whatever...chalk it up to Hey I tried they refused...go about your business and have a great lake day..ya know...

I can't even tell you how many times I've seen people try to load a pontoon boat/scarab/bowrider while thier trailer is in like 1ft of water and mostly on dry land, and they are attempting to power up the trailer!
sometimes I offer a word of advice...

on the other hand we've been towed into port on more than one occasion, most were short 1 mile or less trips (like overheat just out of port, or fuel pump failure), either way we offered $20-$40 cash and thanks (no one has taken the cash yet BTW) in appreciation of their help...

while Im ranting I can't tell you how annoying it is to have a small 40ft dock completely tied up by a single jet skier smack dab in the center just sitting there waiting etc for someone instead of going to the END of the dock...so people can actually go in or out with thier boats etc.....I personally like to pull my boat onto the trailer right next to the dock....because then its an easy tie up and my wife kids can wait while I park the trailer, we always pull our boat awy from the shore as far as possible up the dock to make it easy for others to use the load/unload spots..

but when all the spots are taken for loading/unloading and the one open spot is where the jetskiier seedoo-er is oblviously sitting...waiting for thier pal to come so they can go have fun, PLEASE pull your easy to move jet ski / boat out of the way, to the end of the dock, if you are not loading out...please... I also love it when you're backing out with your boat on the trailer...about to hit the water...and some nut job decides to come right in where you are at and take the spot....at the dock....right where you are backing up to! uuuhhhg! etiquette people please

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: More Ramp antics / etiquette

I can say I was a bit of an a*s yesterday at the ramp.

Small ramp. Only 1 boat at a time..
With all the rains, we have high water. You have to run and jump to get on the dock. Plus the current of the river was real high.

So we set out and went fishing.. After awhile When ever I'd try going the motor would kick into neutral.

Finally were stuck. I'm anchored and messin trying to figure out why I have no forward.. Some things wrong with the cables, But I found if I push on the control as normal and have my oldest son push in on the cable on the motor it will engage normally.

So now we on our way to go to another spot, but my youngest is now scared of being stranded... So we head into the dock. My oldest is the dock grabber so he can't hold the cable. It's fine at WOT or 1/2 throttle. Just not any less.

I plan with the current. I told them we have one chance at this. I'm heading at the dock and I see no trailer. Just as I line up and slow chug along at an angle, I see the trailer start to back down, He stops and pulls forward.. I was on a perfect aim so I didn't want to try again.. We got the the dock.

I walked up and he was standing at his truck looking annoyed. I apologized and said I was having gear troubles and needed to get in. He didn't seem too annoyed after that. I quickly loaded the boat and pulled it out...

vhuevos7

Seaman

I feel guilty cuz my favorite place to be sometimes on a friday night is the boat ramp to watch the crazieness. Next time I might help someone out. Who knows maybe it will save a marriage LOL

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm a patient guy, I really am. I am understanding of someone who is having troubles, as long as they are trying their best.

I am a little shy about asking if someone needs help (unless they look stranded), because some people can be so rude.

Good for OP for helping.

I want to "second" the frustration with tying up a loading dock- that's the one that REALLY gets me going. I've never really noticed a problem with it, until recently. We went out the last two Saturday afternoons. I need to stop going then. We get the "city crowd" out, and they have no clue about how to handle a truck, trailer, boat and other people. Maybe that's not a fair statement (maybe haha), but that sure seems to be the case from what I've seen. So 4 of 4 times that I've been at the ramps in the last two weeks, at least one bozo has assumed that's their parking space! Thems purdy poor odds stacking up against them thar city folk (ya can tell by tha license plate).

What some of us do, if the loading ramp dock(s) is/are the only open space(s), is line up out in the water and wait for a different (non-loading ramp) space to open up. What a concept....

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey BuzzStpoint...what youo did was NOT a bad thing....hey you didnt ram him right? and you were having troubles etc...and you made a point to tell him what and why right away THANK YOU!

yesterday we went out all day...came back late after dark........no one on the dock....windy as heck! one guy was ahead of me in the bay...he went to the front of the T on the dock...I came up, and before we took the spot we wanted at the dock, (they were nosed straight in not pointing to the right or left, kinda odd but....anyways) I asked him if they knew which side they wanted BEFORE I committed to the dock.... he wasnt sure what side his buddy gettinig the truck wanted...either way... hey I asked.... a little extra courtesy goes a long way I say. we docked.... then I asked if they needed any assistance getting it on the trailer...they said they were fine.....

Many times I have been at our dock (it has one small LED at the tip, super dark out there at night...away from the city etc) I cant tell you how many people fumble with thier boats in pitch dark, so I point my small LED flashlight at their boat once they get it startedt on the trailer (from the dock, side lighting them, NOT pointing it at thier face or such...so dont say Im stupid please! in replies (blinding them etc...thats NOT what I do ) to help em see and get thier bow winch attached etc... :D

Chonk

Cadet

Hey everyone.

I'm a noob who has yet to launch his first ever boat. Please remember that this is a very intimidating experience for a first timer. I've been reading a lot here, watching YouTube videos and even sat for a couple of hours at the launch to watch how others do it. I plan on launching for my first time on a slow night, but even still, it will be a little scary.

I understand the resentment of boaters who don't respect ramp etiquette but cut the new guys a little slack. I would love it if someone more experienced would give me pointers or help during my first time.

My 2 cents.

BTW, this forum has been a great resource for information.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Chonk, you should practice backing up at your house if you can. Practice backing it from the street into the driveway if possible. Do as much as possible before going out to the lake.

Don't be afraid to ask for assistance. Only the real assholes out there won't help you when you ask.

SangerTom

Seaman

So I moved up from Seadoos to a boat this year. Took out at a local lake for the first time this month. We are cruising back in and stop in a cove and watch some crazies having a blast jumping off a cliff. There is another family packing up and they can't get their boat started. After 20 minutes, I ask - do you need a tow? They say yes.

Now my wife and kids are freaking out. Dad - you have never taken our boat up to the dock - how are you going to tow them, get them to the dock and not crash? Don't know - but I can't leave them out there stranded.

I got them in, didn't crash and learned about currents.

Pay if forward is the way I look at it.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't be afraid to ask for assistance. Only the real assholes out there won't help you when you ask.

Quoted for truth!

I can honestly say there are at least 10 boaters in my area who are now better at either loading or unloading their boat because of my assistance. I'm not saying that in an arrogant manner, it's just when I see someone struggling I offer to help. If I see someone doing something wrong, I offer to help and teach them the correct way. More often than not people are doing something wrong because they don't know better. Now if someone is being a jerk or doesn't want to take a good piece of free advice, then I let karma work its magic.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A lot of good stories in this thread, showing that the boating comunities help each other out along the way. great to hear.
@ sangerTom there was one resource that you may have had in hand that u could have used. i was on the other end of that situation before, and the guy doing the tow, it was his first time boating ever. he immediately notified me that he was willing but did not have a clue, so i went on board his boat leaving him at the helm, chance to teach a newbie a thing or two, and we got in with me having to give him only a few pointers, but having an experienced captain next to him gave him more confidence.
but good to make the decision "i cant leave them out here" thats what makes a stronger community.
@Chonk - practice handling the boat on trailer backing up in your driveway or a parking lot until you feel comfortable. then plan a practice day. a day when the ramp is least busy, so u can practice getting it on and off the trailer, as you would do normally. the whole procedure from backing up into the water to moving away. do that a few times and u would learn what works best for you. depending on boat and vehicle, different tricks work. and if there is someone else around that seems cool, tell them what u are doing and let them know that any pointers would be appreciated. that way you wont be the one being hurried and embarrassed when you come to go out with the whole family on a busy day.

No Fuss :D

Chonk

Cadet

Quoted for truth!

I can honestly say there are at least 10 boaters in my area who are now better at either loading or unloading their boat because of my assistance. I'm not saying that in an arrogant manner, it's just when I see someone struggling I offer to help. If I see someone doing something wrong, I offer to help and teach them the correct way. More often than not people are doing something wrong because they don't know better. Now if someone is being a jerk or doesn't want to take a good piece of free advice, then I let karma work its magic.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

So....what are you doing next week?;)

NHGuy

Captain

Chonk, WELCOME. You are going to have so much fun! Boats are a little intimidating, and a little complicated. Yet they obey the laws of physics. So keep your eyes and ears open and just take some time to figure it out your way to launch and operate yer boat.
I'd also announce that you are new if there are any experienced boat folks around. If they offer help fine, just keep an eye on them so you know what is happening.

Have fun!

slowjeep

Cadet

most of the time I am loading/unloading in small unpaved beech type launches. There are still idiots there... Like the family that had kids running and jumping over the trailer neck. Or the "mom" that had to cross behind the boat just as I was launching it. She went from waist deep to neck deep in one step, she found the hole I was looking for. Mostly, I just start backing up and people move out of the way.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Believe it or not, the best place to learn how to back up and manuver your vehicle with a boat attached is in a mall parking lot (before it opens or after it closes). take someone with you to pick out a parking slot of their choosing for you to back your boat into. Then pull out and pick another one. Also it's a good tool to see how wide you need to swing the vehicle to allow for the trailer to NOT cut a corner.

Best advice my Mother ever gave me (For boating)

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK so now she is in the water, how is she gonna get out? I am thinking she shouldnt have been boating until she learned how to back in. My wife wont even try to back the boat in. When we had Jetskis I showed her how to back in, but not on a busy day. She practiced many many times on an off day, not a busy day. Seems to me that this lady really shouldnt have been there to begin with, especially on a busy day.

It was nice of you to help, however, you know the old saying, give someone a fish, they eat for a day, teach them to fish and they can eat for a lifetime. Well it seems to me that you gave her a fish. She still doesnt know how to back her rig in and now her boat is in the water.

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

In this unfortunate time of businesses shutting their doors it gives us an opportunity at the perfect docking practice spot. Sloped loading docks. The local Walmart moved to another location and left a bunch of loading docks there for me to practice backing my rig.

Take a drive through an industrial park and find a warehouse type of building with the realty signs out in front. A perfect place to practice and nobody to bother while you're doing it.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

the last time i was at calville this boat took 45 min to get on the trailer. It wasnt loaded even and kept sliding off the trailer to the starboard!!! And, the white pickup next to it was with them, all one big group. Then you guessed it, the white pickup got stuck and had to be pulled out after loading one seadoo.

That was the last time we launched at Calville, what a nightmare. we waited for 1 1/2 hours to retrieve ours.

August09beholdpics037.jpg