More problems 78 merc 260 with 350 chev.

Half Fast

Cadet
As previously stated, Don, I just got this back from the shop & the trim gauge was no way adjusted right when I got it back from the shop, so now I got the gauge to read down when it is down instead of reading 1/4 up now. However it used to go up to the maximum operating range if I press only one of the up buttons. Now it does nothing unless I press both of the buttons & then it goes all the way up to the "trailer" position. When I adjust the left side sender nothing seems to change. The sensors are new too. We took this boat out for the first time last weekend since we got it back from the shop where they put in a new trim gauge, tach & electronic distributor. Now all the gauges, except the speedo read as if the ignition key is in the run position & the motor is on when off. When in the run position the gauges don't read anything until the engine is started. For example the temp gauge reads 180 when off, the oil pressure reads too, the tach reads 500 rpm. The hour meter doesn't work at all now in any key position. When we start the engine the tach fluctuates wildly up to 10000 rpm for about 15 to 30 seconds until it settles down. The boat goes 37 mph @ 3500 rpm. I think it used to rev higher than that but I forgot what wot is on this boat. I think it needs the lighter distributor springs put in it for that? This distributor came with two lighter spring sets. What do you think? How about a little help this time, Don? I didn't have any of these problems to begin with when I took it in to the shop all they did was replace the trim gauge, tach & install the distributor. This is a good shop as they said bring it back but I like to do things myself when I have time & this a good example of why I want to do it myself. I had been putting this work off for 2 years because I didn't have time to get to it. I have no idea where to start looking for these problems but want to try to fix before I take it back to them in 3 weeks. Thank you, HF.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: More problems 78 merc 260 with 350 chev.

you will need the trim wiring diagram.<br /> basically how its supposed to be wired for the trim/trailer functions to work is by sending the solinoid actuating current from the trim button to the trim up soliniod through the port side trim limit switch. look for loose wire or misadjusted switch contacts, if you take the switch off you will see two alignment marks. as the drive rasies to its trim limit the switch will open ceasing pump motor operation. from that point any additional Up motion is accomplished by bypassing the limit switch and the currnt goes directly to the up solinoid.<br /> but the old button style had some button issues as well so it will require testing too.<br />by button I am talking about the old 3 button switch.<br /> most guages now may read anything or nothing when the key is off. but a quick key off voltage test with a DVM will confirm power off.<br /> the tach may be a tach issue, a power feed issue or its not compatable with the ign system.<br /> most modern gauges go to their zero point when key on power is applied and may go anywhere when power is removed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1 You need to adjust the trim limit switch for the trim to work as you want it. It's on the port side of the gimbal ring, and has nothing to do with the gauge.<br />2. Sounds like the shop messed up the wiring, take it back and have them fix it. Just guessing how they screwed it up is a waste of time. It requiers the wiring diagram, a meter and time to check out the wiring.

Half Fast

Cadet

Thanks RB. Yes, it's the 3 button switch on a Searay. Buttons are on the top of the throttle lever. I disconnected the battery & the gauges still show a reading even days later. They never did before I had the work done. Regards, HF.

Bondo

Staff member

This is a good shop as they said bring it back but I like to do things myself when I have time & this a good example of why I want to do it myself. I had been putting this work off for 2 years because I didn't have time to get to it. I have no idea where to start looking for these problems but want to try to fix before I take it back to them in 3 weeks. Thank you, HF.
Well,......<br /><br /> They didn't get it Right,.....<br /> They said to bring it back,+ They 'll Fix it.....<br /><br /> You say You Don'y know what You're Doing ..........<br /><br />If you bring it back to Them,.. After You muddy things up, for 3 Weeks,........<br /><br />If I was They ,......... You 'd be Paying for me to fix it the 2nd time........<br />Only because, I couldn't See where things went So Wrong.........<br /><br />I Think you should Either Wait,........ Or All the Responsibility is Your's,... Not Their's.......<br /><br />And,...........<br />I can tell you from Experince,......<br /><br />Wiring Graemlins Are Elusive....................Even when you DO know what you're Doing............. ;)

Half Fast

Cadet

Well, thanks, I guess? I twisted that port side switch all the way forward & all the way back as stated in the first post & it still didn't do anything. I don't see where I said I don't know what I'm doing, although you may have a point there. I said I don't know where to start looking as these are unusual problems for me. I think I will take your advice & wait as I considered that myself. <br />" If I was They ,......... You 'd be Paying for me to fix it the 2nd time........<br />Only because, I couldn't See where things went So Wrong........."<br />Because when you say what you just said you express the dealers snotty attitude about their work when they don't get something right. All I have done to this boat so far is adjust the trim stops so the gauge will read right & I disconnected the battery to see what the gauges would do. And then you come off with a snotty attitude like that Bondo. I'm really surprised at you for that. You can't see where things went so wrong either so what, it's my fault?. You think all your cutomers are idiots? Can't do a simple thing like adjust a trim gauge & disconnect a battery. If I"m so bad how come every stinking time I take something into a shop, including autos, when I get the vehicle back I still have to finish fixing it. Huh, why, every stinking time. There I go starting a rant again.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's possible your trim limit switch went bad just by removing it from during service. It is a 78 model and that part sits under water.<br />Do you have a Mercruiser service manual for your drive? It gives detailed instructions with pictures on how to test, replace/repair, and adjust it. <br />
If I"m so bad how come every stinking time I take something into a shop, including autos, when I get the vehicle back I still have to finish fixing it. Huh, why, every stinking time.
Why don't you ever take it back and let them fix it if they messed it up? Rant at them, not us....... we didn't mess it up for you.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

half fast<br /> dont beat bondo so hard :) <br />but if it were me, and you picked your rig up and what I had repaiered did not work I would tell ya to bring it back and lets see,<br /> if you bring it back and someone else has been obviously tinkering with it I will give you two options, option 1 is write up a work order and go on the clock or option 2 take it someplace else.<br /> like I tried to explain to you and you refuse to listen the guages are reacting normally. its stray magetism left in the meter movements.<br /> entirely normal. as long as the zero when the key is on.<br /> the trim wiring is not magic on that hull, its a matter of simple mechanical switches that the average High School student should be able to follow.<br /> its a matter of can the circuit flow current. its water in a pipe, I explained how it worked but you will have to have a harness diagram of your particular motor.<br /> I love helping the do it yourself crowd or I would not involve myself, however the do it yourselfer also has to help himself.<br /> I had an incident last fall over a EFI volvo, fixed a bad pump relay circuit, now the pump would turn on and run for 2 seconds at key on just like it was designed. but he thought I had messed hios rig up so he and his buddie started rewireing at it an managed to start popping the 20 amp breaker. then he brought it back, I straigtened it out again and went to the water with him, I tried for 30 min to explain to him how the circuit worked but all he kept saying was it never did that before he brought it to me.<br />I finally blew my stack and did everything but cuss him for a gorilla.<br /> so my advice is either take it back, after studying how its supposed to work. or fix it yourself and chalk it up. its also possible that the switch assy is non stock or had been prevously miswired and with the wiring corrceted at the transom the switches no longer work.<br />its amazing how many techs cannot or will not follow a simple manual. I have seen one that will wire around the limit switch on a regular basis.

Bondo

Staff member

Well,..... Maybe I came off alittle strong,......I'm Sorry........<br /><br />But,........<br /><br />Have you ever seen that Sign, posted in Millions of Repair Shops, of All different kinds, that says,...........<br /><br />Labor Rate,.....$10.00 Per Hour.....<br /><br />If You Watch,.......$20.00 Per Hour........<br /><br />If You Help,........$30.00 Per Hour..........<br /><br />If You Started Before I Get There,.......$100.00 Per Hour........<br /><br /><br />Ya Paid for the Job to Get Done,...............<br /><br />Allow the Shop the Respect, to Repair the Repair in the Condiction it Left their Shop..........<br /><br />If there's an Arse that Needs Kicking,........... That's the Only Way the Management Will Ever Know.........<br /><br />No,... I didn't say it's Your Fault....................Yet.......... :D <br /><br /><br />BTW,........Throw in some Paragraphs or Something,..........<br />Your posts are Harder to Read than Rodbolt's........................ :rolleyes: