More Power

mBurns

Cadet
Looking for some advise on how to get my air conditioning working. I've got a '95 Regal 256 Commodore -- so I've got a cabin with a little bit of space, and I live in South Carolina. So I'm looking for a way to have air conditioning when we take the boat out to the lake for a weekend. I've recently been fixing a lot of other, more important issues, so now I'm looking for a way to do this. I recently picked up a 1000W inverter generator, super quiet, super lightweight - and it's great. Except that my compressor's starting surge trips the generator offline.

when hooked up to shore power (at home) I used a clamp-on ammeter and the surge is at least 12A, but it doesnt read fast enough to accurately measure it. After the surge, the compressor, pump and fan combined only pull about 5A at 120V. This is why I thought the 1000W would be enough.

I've already split out the wiring, so the fan starts, then the pump, finally the compressor; so there's only 1 surge at a time, but it's still too much for this generator to handle. Anybody got a trick, or any advice on how to make this work? Returning this one, and buying a 2000W is on the table, but I'd love a cheaper option.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1000 watts at 120 volts is NOT 12 amps, its only 8.3 amps

plus your clamp-on ammeter is probably not registering the first initial hit which is going to be closer to 15-18 amps

you should have gotten a 2000 watt genny

then again, a portable genny on the boat, you better have a carbon monoxide detector, because the exhaust will enter the boat, and the carbon monoxide (being heavier than air) will sink to the berth

maybe pick up a true marine genny

there are no safe cheap options

mBurns

Cadet
heh, can't always splurge for the $1000 genny..
guess I'll take this one back and keep my eye out for a bigger one