More Noob Questions... Saltwater?

PennStateZ

Cadet
Here's a link to my first post: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=254930

Since then I've come up with some new questions.

I'll probably be going with I/O since performance and economy are preferable to fishing ability. Unfortunately the water around here is brackish to salty (York and James rivers, Chesapeake Bay).

For convenience I'd like to keep the boat at a marina in Virginia Beach. This means either a wet slip (will kill the outdrive and require too much maintenance?), trailer storage at the marina, or renting space in a rack system. The rack system looks like a decent option as it keeps the boat out of saltwater until it's actually in use, but my question is this: how do I clean it/rinse it/perform maintenance? Can they pull it out of the racks and set it on the trailer, and can I clean it and deal with the saltwater issues before they put it back up on the racks after use?

Ideally I'll have space to keep it at home and then I'll have a freshwater supply and tools readily available, but this may not be an option.

What's my best plan of action for storage of an I/O in the salty waters of the Chesapeake Bay if I want the engine and drive to last as long as possible?

Thanks,

Matt

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: More Noob Questions... Saltwater?

1st is to have a closed freshwater cooling system for the engine, but these do not include the outdrive and exhaust system. you need to talk to the marina's in the area, as to what there policies, and services are. some here will wash down for you. some don't. who installs the covers. etc.

PennStateZ

Cadet

How involved ($ and time) is the closed FW cooling system if the boat doesn't already have one?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Performance wise an I/O buys you nothing. With the weight advanatge of the outboard you need more HP to get the same level of performance. More HP use more fuel so in reality the I/O would be less fuel effeceint.

If you mean cheaper to buy I would agree but not cheaper to own. The maintenance on an I/O in saltwater is 3 times that of an outboard. In the long run will cost you way more to own an I/O than the outboard.

PennStateZ

Cadet

Okay... then maybe this is a better question to be asking...

What boats (used) have:

Outboard
Ability to tow a tube/skier
Cuddy

This boat is mainly going to be used for tubing, swimming and cruising. I don't see a lot of outboard boats around here designed for that.

I've read a lot about the efficiency of I/O v. OB, and more people have claimed that I/O is the better choice for fuel economy and performance. Obviously there are a lot of variables there, but to narrow it down, keep the scope to 2x' enclosed bow boats that can tow.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Okay... then maybe this is a better question to be asking...

What boats (used) have:

Outboard
Ability to tow a tube/skier
Cuddy

This boat is mainly going to be used for tubing, swimming and cruising. I don't see a lot of outboard boats around here designed for that.

I've read a lot about the efficiency of I/O v. OB, and more people have claimed that I/O is the better choice for fuel economy and performance. Obviously there are a lot of variables there, but to narrow it down, keep the scope to 2x' enclosed bow boats that can tow.

I'm not sure what you mean by ?designed for??

I have a 22? with an outboard. I could probably tow 3-4 skiers at a time if I had the desire and the cuddy is big enough for two adults to sleep in, although cramped. On top of this I could run 50 miles offshore to the canyons to fish then come back in, rinse down, and take it across the Bay to diner with guests that evening.

Obviously mine is setup to fish but even so it will do what you want it to do without a problem. My point is to look at the whole package. Va. Beach is a big area with lots to do so I won't limit your oppurtunites in the future by purchasing a activy specfic vessel

When comparing I/O vs outboard people typically compare an I/O to 20th century 2 stroke technologies. Fast forward to the 21st century and compare an I/O to a DFI 2 stroke or a 4 stroke outboard. Things even out or may even lean toward the outboard because of the weight to HP ratio.

PennStateZ

Cadet

When I say designed for I mean exactly that. When the engineer/architect sits down to build a boat, he has a certain purpose in mind. I know there's overlap between the capabilities of different boats, but it's still something to consider.

Fishing boats have some great attributes, like their abilities in rough seas and functionality. But they also don't have the same kind of seating that your typical performance cuddy does nor is there a place to lie down other than the cabin. Those might not be concerns for a fisherman, but for someone looking to relax with friends on the bay seating becomes an issue. So does a swim platform.

Mainly I don't like the idea of a large mass hanging from the back of the hull. If a boat will handle as well with the CG moved back as it would with an I/O then I have no complaints there.

I've modified cars and worked on cars but have no experience with boats. From what I've been told it would be easier for me to work on an I/O than an OB. Of course it would probably be easier to swap OB's, but I also don't have the kind of money it would take to be swapping those engines regularly.

Maybe if you had a few examples of something that would fit my needs (with an OB) I'd be more receptive to the idea. Not worrying about a corroding outdrive would be a big positive. But every time I look around, I'm drawn to boats that are I/O.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think you need to start a list, of i wants, and must haves.
i have a 23 ft Chris Craft Deck boat, has port a potty, and changing area, seats 13, with 5.7L volvo, will pull 3 skiers easily, nice swim platform. Bow cover for heavy weather. a all round great useful boat. we ski, tube, diving 7 miles off shore on the reef in the keys. these are new in the $40,000 range. there are a lot of nice outboard deckboats, with the same ammenities.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Penn..
perhaps you need to look at deck boats like TD's or even a bowrider..cuddys are great for storage, but not much else,when your out in the sun all day..even with a hatch open it gets too hot down there,its not like sitting around in your living room.If your looking for an all around "fun" boat,able to fish-cruise-pull skiers/tubes, you need a boat with a decent sized deck layout : deck boat or bowrider,both offer seating,space for toys and your I/O.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

You, my friend are in dire need of a .....boat show! Living in Florida I have lots of opportunities to go out with friends on their boats to see what would work for me. My last two boats have been center console open fishermen, cause that's what I do. Have you seen a walk around yet? Good deck space, good cabin space and good "bigger" fishin boat. However, find the nearest boat show, spend a day and kick some....tir..er..fiberglass :D

PennStateZ

Cadet

The only thing that scares me about bowriders is taking them on the bay/ocean. I really don't want to take a wave over the front of one.

Will an I/O survive if I pull it out of the water after every use?

PennStateZ

Cadet

You, my friend are in dire need of a .....boat show! Living in Florida I have lots of opportunities to go out with friends on their boats to see what would work for me. My last two boats have been center console open fishermen, cause that's what I do. Have you seen a walk around yet? Good deck space, good cabin space and good "bigger" fishin boat. However, find the nearest boat show, spend a day and kick some....tir..er..fiberglass :D

I agree. I'll have to keep an eye out for shows. I think I missed a lot of them. It would really help to see the boats I'm considering in person.

PennStateZ

Cadet

I suppose this would do the trick... http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/735405888.html

Even if I don't fish it will fit my needs for a bay boat around here. I just wish the seating was a little better. I suppose that's something I could modify if I really wanted to. It can't be too hard to bolt a bench or something in there, right?

If I had to pick something today though, I'd lean towards this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-Four-Winns-205-Sundowner_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80651QQihZ015QQitemZ250263616865QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Then that is what I would lean to. It is not like the salt will disolve your outdrive overnight. Is it good for it? No. Is an O/B or straight inboard better to slip? Yes. But with routine care (cleaning, anodes, zinc/copper paint, bellows, etc.) it will be fine. I am a little ways up the James from you and most slipped boats around here are I/O. Racking costs about the same as slipping, but I do not like the time restrictions you must follow to get the boat pulled. Most racks will allow you to flush your system before storing. I sold my 24' and 16' O/B center consoles in the last six months and plan on picking up a Sea Ray 215 tomorrow for similar purposes. It will be slipped most of the year. I would install a FWC system as TD suggested if it is not already. Good luck and enjoy!:D

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I suppose this would do the trick... http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/735405888.html

Even if I don't fish it will fit my needs for a bay boat around here. I just wish the seating was a little better. I suppose that's something I could modify if I really wanted to. It can't be too hard to bolt a bench or something in there, right?

If I had to pick something today though, I'd lean towards this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-Four-Winns-205-Sundowner_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80651QQihZ015QQitemZ250263616865QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

You need to get out on the waters you expect to boat. With the convergence off all the rivers and the mouth of the Bay it?s very "sloppy" in that area. You'll be bouncing around out there like a cork on all but a few days a year unless you stay up river or back in the Coves.

Motor wise it?s your choice but I would recommend that you get a "heavy" boat with a lot of deadrise if you want to be comfortable in those waters. Anything less than 20 degrees and you come back to the dock with a sore back and a few fillings missing from your teeth. ;)

PennStateZ

Cadet

I stopped by a boat sales place and a marina today on Willoughby Spit (north of VA Beach). They had a few walkarounds, bowriders, and a cuddy or two. The walkarounds were nice but I'm not excited about a used fishing boat and I'm still not convinced that it's what I'm looking for. The bowriders actually caught my eye, but I'm worried about them being able to handle the bay as dingbat says.

I did notice that the two boats with Volvo I/O's looked like the outdrives had never been put in the water, and all the other ones were beat. Maybe just coincidence...

I suppose if I could find a boat with a deep hull, good seating and an outboard that would be the smart thing.

fishmen, do you get any salinity where you run?

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Varies a great deal Penn dependent upon recent rainfall. Right now we have blue crabs and a few immature croakers around so I would guess we are at 20-35%.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Based on some of the criteria you've laid out, plus some of the suggestions from members here, I think that Welcraft in the craigslist ad you posted definitely looks like something you should check out. Whish they had some pictures showing the interior layout and cuddy.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Performance wise an I/O buys you nothing. With the weight advanatge of the outboard you need more HP to get the same level of performance. More HP use more fuel so in reality the I/O would be less fuel effeceint.

True now in the era of direct injected 2-stroke and boosted 4-stroke outboards, but classical 2-strokes are anything but fuel efficient.