more gas tank woes....

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will spare the back story....
ts a 1985 Bayliner Capri 1950. Been having alot of trouble trying to use the built in tank.
I cleaned it out, totally dry, or so I think. I had the boat as high up in the front as I could manage and after siphoning off what was in there, I took some rags and dried out the rest.

I put 3 gallons in, and it was not enough for my pickup to get, so put a longer pickup on and put 5 more gallons in it.
It drew just fine, but the boat would not run on it and the gas looked crappy...cloudy...

It will idle on the crap coming out of the main tank, after cranking a bit longer than normal, but will not rev. Switching back to my remote tank the gas looks better and after the crappy gas from the main tank burns out of the carb, it runs just fine.

The thing is, once before i had cleaned it out and got the same results. I though at that time that my sending unit seal had been leaking and maybe the tank had got some water in it. This time I put a new sending unit and new seal and I sealed around the outside of it profusely.

I thought there may be a hole in the tank somewhere?!? But, when I first got the boat, I cleaned the tank and after I gave it up the first time, we ran for 3 years not using the tank, I would imagine that it would have filled with water in that time but it did not....when I cleaned it out this time, there was only the few gallons I put in it way back when.

What the heck is going on here?!?! A clean tank...put 3 gallons in....then 5 gallons, what came out looked bad. I did not really see those oil in water blobs, it just looked uniformly cloudy and the engine did not like it.

What if I dump a bottle of sea foam in the tank at this point? (I do not have a water separator in the fuel system, I have never needed one with the remote tanks Ive been using. How much water can those eat up before they dont flow anymore? ---Dump some sea foam, put a separator inline and waste a filter getting it out?!?

I should just stick with my remote tanks, but still its bothering me. I can hold 21 gallons with my remotes, but its a pain sometimes.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: more gas tank woes....

I'd say to put the fuel/water filter inline,they work but if ya get a ton of water,they let it through. But its good insurance. What you are getting is probbally resuidal scale or oxidation from sitting empty,probbally looks clean but hard to see stuck to the walls.a small ammount of fuel will make it look bad.Put more fuel in get 4-5 filters and run it/change filters after every run till she cleans up. Check the contents of the filter in a clear container after every change. If ya are running ethenol,it'll remove old junk in a tank for awhile,I run ethel except in the fall before storage,no problems.mabe the filler hose has crud in it and picking up the cloudiness from there. Seafoam is your friend,add some of that,it'll help also.
Grub

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like the fuel lines from the stock tank to the engine are yucked up and either need to be cleaned or replaced. I see this alot with old cars. Guys buy new tank and hook it up to crappy old lines that have been sitting 5 or more years.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure the tank was dry? Maybe it has a baffle that held old fuel? You are on the right track. Jack up the bow, let her set and try to siphon the botom of the tank out. Sounds like you have ethanol and water separating from the gas.

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel lines are all new...I think I will try the water separator option next.....and add some more gas. Crap. Hope it works or I will wind up with a bunch of useless hazardous waste! LOL