More advice needed

Walleye King

Seaman
Okay, I have resigned myself that I must pull the deck plate and seperate it from the hull. My transom looks straight even with a straight edge across it, it is 1/16th" pulled in so it looks great, (not the boat, the transom) and should be an easy transom replacement.<br /><br />My question is this, can I wait to get the deck plate off to remove the motor and stern drive? Or should I leave it in place till I get them removed? More room after the deck plate is removed to get to everything and remove the motor and out drive. Right now the transom and out drive are supported securely.<br /><br />This has some advantages by doing it this way and removing the deck plate, at least now I can go all the way to the front of the hull to cut the stringers out and replace them. Really didn't want to go this far, but I think in the long run, it will be worth it. I Hope! ;)

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: More advice needed

I would bet you can remove the deck before pulling the motor/drive. That would make their removal easier for clearance issues, but it depends on the structure of the boat. At the least I would pull as much of the outdrive off as possible to minimize weight.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: More advice needed

Since you are going to the bare shell, you can dissassemble it in whatever way will make it easiest. Now, when you reassemble it, the drivetrain needs to be the last thing to go in. The floor, transom, stringers, and upper deck form the structure of the boat. You want this structure straight and true. If you put the engine back in before the upper deck goes on, it could cause the hull to spread or warp, making putting the deck back on a living hell. Also, make sure the hull is on its support system properly, whether its the trailer or a drydock you built. If it is not supported right, it can develop a warp, hook, or bow that will be permanent once you have your floor/stringers/transom glassed in. Good luck and post a pic or ten.