Morality question...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
If someone spends their entire adult life and hard earned money to collecting documents and then posts them on their website, is it immoral to copy them and distribute them for free to others who want the same docs? <br /><br />BTW none of the information is copyright protected.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Morality question...

If they are doing the collecting there's no problem. They made them accessible go ahead and use them. ;)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Doesn't seem like a problem to me. Anytime something's posted for public viewing on the web, there's the implied assumption that the poster wants others to see it. If however, it's a subscription site, that's different.<br /><br />If there's a question, can the others not get to the website themselves?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

My life online in pictures...Knock yourself out, as far as i am concerned. That links you to all that is not private of 12Footer's life online, and pics i saved for any number of reasons. If i cared whether others used anything aboard that site, it would not be there.<br />I know --- a "no-brainer". But now, let's address the legal aspects of your question. Take into account, that all law is not the same. Legalities/penalties and copywrite depth may differ from state-to-state, or country-to-country. So I would submit that any applicable law would be indigenous of the state/country the docs were posted in, added to the intent (express or implied) of the author.<br />If you have clicked the link to my site, you'll note that many of the photos are stills from movies and TV shows that have their own copywrite protections, of which, I personally chose to ignore/violate at my own disgretion....so the larger issue would be, am I liable for your use of those pics or comments?<br />things that make me go "hmmmmm".

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

say 12F, is that your P51 RC aircraft in the photo?.......VERY NICE! :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Thanx, pjc, but not mine. It belonged to a close friend. He also sent a "photoshop" of the pic, by clipping the background of it, and pasting me in the cockpit...I thought the photoshopped pic was in there too. But if not, i'll have post it here (if i can find it)...It's a hoot.<br /><br />OK, here it is:<br />
50753725.P51Sean.jpg
<br />He used a crop of me from this pic of me and my grandbuddy:<br />
18723230.captn1stmate2287.jpg

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mark are you talking about sharing free boat plans found on numerous websites? Just got to thinking about this post and wondering if thats what your referring to. And if so... what are your opinions?<br />I feel as though if its on the internet and they are just using their webspace for storing them there is a lot of free drive space for securing files where people wont be able to access the files. I feel if they have gone so far as to create an actual web page listing the documents, they are displaying them as handouts unless they state otherwise on their pages. Most of what I view and distribute to others on this board are from sites that I've searched for free whatever plans and they've popped up under the "free" search word which makes them shareable. Just my thought though I must admit I started feeling a lil guilty when I put this post together with the sharing of plans I've done in another section here.

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wimperdink,,,That MiniMax looks nice.Very interesting. You mentioned the angle.What about making a small wedge to go between motor and transom?

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

12Foater,,,I looked atsomeof your collection.WOW!!!! When I get more time,the rest of them.THANKS.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by James Williams:<br /> Wimperdink,,,That MiniMax looks nice.Very interesting. You mentioned the angle.What about making a small wedge to go between motor and transom?
I already rebuilt the motor board to vertical... but I wish you'd have been around with that suggestion about a week ago... I would have done that instead so the old motor board would have worked for other outboards. Oh well I still have the old one and can just bolt it up :) <br /><br />sorry mark not trying to steal your thread.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Mark, by putting anything on a website, you put it out there for anyone to use as they see fit.<br /><br />I put troubleshooting procedures for the Sport Jet ignition on my website, and anyone can use they for anything.<br /><br />If the sold them as thier own, it would be my fault for not protecting it properly.<br /><br />A patent is only protected by the people the patent is issued to. No one else will police the patent.<br /><br />Ken