Mooring cover for a 2003 Bayliner 185 Bowrider

Twinz

Cadet
I have a 2003 Bayliner 185 Bowrider that has a snap-on bow cover. The windshield has snaps for a bimini top that attaches to the hoop frame at the mid section of the boat. This past year I kept my boat in my garage and trailered it to and from the lake each weekend. Next year my wife wants to get a slip. I would like to get a cover to protect the boat. What options do I have?

Would a mooring cover like this work without the straps that go under the boat? I know those straps are more for trailering. I assume there is some sort of draw string?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=87352

Or do I need to have someone make me a custom snap-on cockpit cover. Who in the Western Massachusetts/Northern Connecticut area does this type of work and what would it cost me approximately?

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Mooring cover for a 2003 Bayliner 185 Bowrider

You have it just backwards.
Snaps are for a mooring/slip cover and the string kind is for dry storage and trailering.
Finding one that is a mass produced, that will fit your snaps is not likely unless the snaps were installed to a mass produced one.
A custom one is a guaranteed fit, but can cost $800.00 or more.

I have a very similar cover to the one in the link, paid $104.00 at Menards.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mooring cover for a 2003 Bayliner 185 Bowrider

Your options are to buy a ready-made semi-custom or universal mooring cover online, or to have a local shop custom make one for you.

The snaps that are on your boat now are for bow covers, cockpit covers or biminis that were supplied by the boat manufacturer. They will not work for a mooring cover.

If you want to have a cover custom made, look in your phonebook under canvas products, or contact your closest marine dealer. He knows who does the work locally. In that case they will install snaps all around your boat on the sides of the hull.

If you buy a ready made cover, just install the snaps yourself to line up with the loops on the cover. Drill and SS pop rivets. Personally, I don't like snaps so I install lashing hooks and then don't need to put the mating snaps on the loops.

For a common Bayliner model like yours, look at IBoats or West Marine. They carry models custom fitted to you boat. You still ahve to install the snaps though.