Monkey Fur dye, anyone done it?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
I know the answer is to remove and replace however that is a large undertaking that I will either complete at a later date or sell the boat before I do it. For the time being however a previous owner let the “monkey fur” headliner get nasty and stained. I have since fixed the leaks that caused it, however after cleaning with many different products (bleach solutions, degreasers, carpet cleaners, Folex, etc etc) it simply wont come clean enough.

As a solution for the time being I’m hoping someone has either done this or can recommend a good carpet dye/paint that would help cover these stains. My goal would be something acceptable verse perfection.

roffey

Commander
I have never heard of monkey fur, I'm going to stick around and see what the answer will be.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
It’s the term used for the fuzzy hull liner manufacturers use in the cabin. In the 70s it was real heavy shag like stuff. They moved to a thinner carpet like product in the 80’s and then to vinyl after that. Mine is a carpet like one. I’ve seen it referred to as monkey fur, rat fur, etc. I’d love to replace it, but the cabin would have to be dismantled as they install it before they build the cabinets, walls, install windows and hatches, etc.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
This photo shows the stuff on the right side that I need to dye/paint.

Attachments

• photo332238.jpg
    photo332238.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 8

roffey

Commander
ok, I have seen that stuff before. I don't think I will be of much help other than to suggest the stuff you have likely tried, like steam, scrub brush....I worked on a car lot years back and we used to spray paint the carpets. It sound goofy but if you spray it lightly and then just fluff it up with your hands it does not look like paint.. not sure you could do that here tho. Like I said I will sit back and read the reply and likely learn something new..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could just put some Chia Pet seeds up there and let it grow out. :lol:

Okay seriously, if you already tried all those things and it isn't clean to your liking, then replace it is your only option... But think about the Chia Pet seed...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
I have used Duplicolor fabric and vinyl paint about 15 years ago on some car door panels and plastic. It held up well but it was black, and it was 15 years ago. Not sure if there are better products out there.

Replacing would be a nightmare, I would have to disassemble most of the cabin (head walls, upper cabinets, remove the windows and trim etc. if it comes to that, I would probably live with it!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have found nothing that will clean old hull liner.

nothing. not a commercial cleaner, not a commercial solvent. not straight bleach, not straight acetone, nothing would clean the staining

however you can get 6 foot wide hull liner for about $6.82 a yard from most RV shops, and a few minutes with 3M 90 adhesive, replace what you have in a weekend. I used panther RV products for my last hull liner order

if you had leaks, the staining is from both mold and minerals. the mold will come back and feed on the minerals, so even if you die the stain a different color and use a really expensive automotive carpet dye, not only will you still have mold, however every time you lean against the dyed hull liner, you will get dye transfer

did I mention I tried straight bleach..... and straight acetone

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
I have also tried straight bleach to no avail. If a dye or paint doesn’t work then I either accept or replace. The good news on transfer, none of the areas to be dyed will be touched unless someone uses their hands to touch it (it’s all basically ceiling as the lower walls are clean enough). I used some mold killing spray in there and mold cleaners as well... but not sure how long term that is.

Hopefully someone has a decent recommendation on a product.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I used the hand attachment on a Hoover carpet cleaner on mine with some success.

Took a lot of the grey (dust) coloration out. Removed a couple of water spots and such. Nowhere near perfect....looks a lot better than it did

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I would try fabric/carpet paint. I used some on an old Sea Ray and it looked decent.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Old post, but I wanted to update in case anyone searches...

I ended up grabbing a bunch of cans of white duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye. I used a trick I read online to grab a hair trimmer and trim the headliner first, which knocks down any fuzzy bits sticking out. I then put in a bunch of fans, taped the boat up and went to town. In the end it looked 100 times better. It does make the material feel stiff... but it only took a couple hours verse days for removal and replacement of the headliner.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Here are some photos:

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 9

hugh g

Petty Officer 1st Class
Old post, but I wanted to update in case anyone searches...

I ended up grabbing a bunch of cans of white duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye. I used a trick I read online to grab a hair trimmer and trim the headliner first, which knocks down any fuzzy bits sticking out. I then put in a bunch of fans, taped the boat up and went to town. In the end it looked 100 times better. It does make the material feel stiff... but it only took a couple hours verse days for removal and replacement of the headliner.
Where can I buy that Duplicolor dye? I bought a gallon of deck cleaner a few weeks ago & the bottle tipped over, leaked onto the carpet of my truck & turned it white. The capet where it leaked was grey. Thanks!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Autoparts store had it. Most didn't have white, but they ordered it and had it in a couple days.