Money Won't Change Me?

NYMINUTE

Captain
CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- The wife of the lottery winner who took home the richest undivided jackpot in U.S. history says she regrets his purchase of the $314.9 million ticket that has thrust her family into the public spotlight.<br /><br />"I wish all of this never would have happened," Jewel Whittaker told The Charleston Gazette for Tuesday's editions. "I wish I would have torn the ticket up."<br /><br />Since winning the lottery two years ago, her husband, Jack Whittaker, has been arrested twice for drunken driving and has been ordered into rehab. He pleaded no contest Monday to a misdemeanor assault charge for attacking a bar manager, and is accused in two lawsuits of making trouble at a nightclub and a racetrack.<br /><br />There have been several thefts involving Whittaker's vehicle, his office and his house. One of the thefts occurred at his home in September on the same day an 18-year-old friend of Whittaker's granddaughter was found dead there. The death remains under investigation.<br /><br />Last week Whittaker, 57, reported his granddaughter missing. Putnam County sheriff's Sgt. Lisa Arthur said the granddaughter is not considered a kidnapping victim.<br /><br />Whittaker took his winnings in a lump sum of $113 million after taxes. He has donated more than $20 million to charity, said his lawyer, Norm Daniels.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Money Won't Change Me?

Money is the root of all evil!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Stupidity is the root of all evil! Money just helps it along.<br /><br />Money didnt make him a drunk, and his granddaughter a troubled child. It may have helped, but it didnt cause.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes that has been an ongoing thing around here.<br />He had 200K stolen from the front seat of his car.<br />Now come on, who leaves 200K laying in the seat for all to see?<br /><br />The last I heard, his wife was going to leave him cause he couldn't leave other women alone.<br />He goes out and gets drunk and then starts fights.<br />Then gets throwed in jail.<br />It's a big joke for sure.

NYMINUTE

Captain

$113K, I could be influenced to go bad, but frankly the thought of endless fishing and cruising in a 74' Hatteress, without the disruption of work would motivate me to stay as I am.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

A survey of lotto winners 10 years later over 70% said it was the worst thing to ever happen to 'em. Common complaints: <br /> - Can't go to church anymore: every time you walk in the door they expect you to pony up for a new building or HVAC repair or computer system or whatever.<br /> - Lose all your friends: the friends you have now get self-conscience, if you pay for stuff they feel like freeloaders; new friends who want to hang out with you are freeloaders, except the wealthy, and you can't be too sure about them.<br /> - Publicity: Can't answer the doorbell or the phone; beggars & con artists come out of the woodwork.<br /> - Death threats - no kidding, crazies who get angry that you won & they didn't.<br /> - Broken marriages - once you got money to pursue your dream, you might not share the same dream anymore. Or money to attract gold-diggers who might be able to turn your head.<br /> - Most lotto winners only get $2 or $3 million, maybe $50k - 60k a year; you feel pressured to quit your job ("that weirdo won the lotto but still works here") but still don't get enough to really improve your standard of living. <br /> - You'll be surprised how fast a person could burn through a couple million. End up spending all the money, no job, no friends, broken family, much worse off than before.<br /><br />Still, it's a challenge I'm ready to take on.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Sbn had refreshened my mind when he said the guy left 200 thou in the truck!!!!<br /><br />That guy has had bad luck since winning!!!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Left 200 thou and was rolled by the protitute!!!Hope it was good!!!! :p :p <br /><br />Happy Holidays!!! :cool: :cool:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> $113K, I could be influenced to go bad, but frankly the thought of endless fishing and cruising in a 74' Hatteress, without the disruption of work would motivate me to stay as I am.
That's 113M, NY, not K.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The first mistake a lot of those knotheads make is running around bragging about it, and not making it a non-publicized event. You don't have to let the world know you won, you can keep it private. I always dream about what I would do, and it would be pretty modest. I would never get a house that I can't clean by myself in a day or can't afford the taxes on if I had to work. <br /><br />I would get the toys I want, but it would all be within reason, and they would all be based on if I could maintain/use them while working a normal job. I would treat it like I only got the posessions, and still have to afford to use them while working a job. I of course would not work, but I would live within reason. No $500 dinners out every night, no lear jets or any of that crap. A nice house and a good fishin' boat would be the two major expenses. No Ferarris or any of that, I have no desire for it. I would put a nice batch of cash aside for my daughter for full tuition on the college/career of her choice, and there would be a trust that she would never know about. She would go to school, work her career, get married, had a kid or two, and BAM, she'd be set. I would hook my family up because we all grew up dirt poor and it is the right thing to do. If they blow it all, its their own damn fault, and they'll get no more. The charities and other bloodsuckers can all take a hike, they really won't want to deal with me.<br /><br />I saw a thing about lottery winners, and all the smart ones lived low key, normal lives, and never talked about it with anyone, and they did fine.

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd give it a shot if giving the opportunity. It would be really nice to wake up one morning debt free.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by arboatdr:<br /> I'd give it a shot if giving the opportunity. It would be really nice to wake up one morning debt free.
There ain't anyone alive that wouldn't ar.<br />It has to do with money management, that's all.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Money is the root of all evil!
Not to split hairs here, but the Bible says that "The LOVE of money is the ROOT of ALL evil"...ain't nothing wrong with having money, it is just where your heart is, there is your treasure. In fact, the scripture says that if you put God first all these things will be added to you; though I am sure it never meant a winning lottery ticket or riches that would cause your heart to turn from God!!

Stratosfied

Ensign

As best I can recall, the man who won the giant jackpot was already a millionare, with a successful business. Oh well. Maybe one of us will hit oneday.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I was working in Nitro WV (next door to Scotts Depot) when the idiot hit the lottery.<br /><br />He was a BS little small time "contractor" that had a poor reputation. After hitting it big he was a regular at every "gentlemans" bar around and the dog racing track. <br /><br />His nasty daughter was on TV telling the rapper "Nellie" to call her at once...she wanted to hook up with him.<br /><br />That family is nothing more than white trash through and through.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> Not to split hairs here, but the Bible says that "The LOVE of money is the ROOT of ALL evil"...ain't nothing wrong with having money,
I know that Spratt. I also know very few people who have money that succeeded in keeping the seduction of it at bay.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

If I win the lottery, I don't want a soul to know. If I could, I would hide the fact from my own wife.<br /><br />I don't think money changes a person so much, GREED really changes a person, and will change the people around you. It will also attract a really ugly side of society. I'd be afraid for my family if I won the lottery and it was made public.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I think there is a clause of somekind that if you win over a certain amount, they have permission to use your name and picture for promotions, plus the place you bought it gets so much, so that would be in the news.<br />There is just no way to keep it quite..

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The thing about the lottery that I cant stand is the idiots who win huge lotteries, but then say "I am going to keep on working"<br /><br />What a bunch of losers.<br /><br />If I ever win (have to play first) I would only tell my family. Luckily the wife's family lives on the other side of the world, so I only have to put up with mine.<br /><br />Ken

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've always told the wife,if we win,we split it 50/50 you do what you want with your half I'm buying a big boat and going fishing.I haven't decided,maybe a big sailboat and sail the seven seas in search of the perfect fish.Oh well,it's fun to dream.