Molly Hatchets maiden voyage

jchast

Cadet
We went out on our maiden voyage on Sunday on the Ohio River. Put in at Monaca public launch. Other than the people hanging out, fishing and sunbathing (wtf) on the dock, it was pretty decent. Didn't have any troubles launching the boat. Top speed as measured with the onboard speedo with the Evinrude 88spl with three people on board, gear and full tank (20g) of fuel was 38mph at 5200 rpm with stainless prop. I have an aluminum prop I'd like to try out next time... just to see how it does. I've always heard you're better off having the alum. prop on in the river anyway incase you hit a rock or log, etc. We Have a couple of quirks to work out. The trim gauge works on dry land, but not in the water while still or under way.... As a result I never knew how much trim I applied until I cavitated the prop. Does anybody know if the trim gauge is mechanical or electrical in nature? I would assume electrical. The other problem I had was the engine kept stalling when I tried to put the boat into reverse several times. It wouldn't restart unless I had some throttle applied. We ended up pulling up on a beach area and did some on shore fishing for an hour, then the problem seemed to disappear after the boat sat for an hour... I don't know what that's all about and I don't know if it will do it again, until I take it out again.

We were out about 5 hours and all in all had a great time. Got the boat back on the trailer with no problems and got her home safely. I also noticed some fuel leaking out of the service port (I think its called). Its the part by the carbs that looks like a bicycle stem... what's that for anyway? I know I can replace it for like $11.00. I'm sure I'll have loads of questions. I appreciate having this forum to use as a valuable resource along with its members.

Oh.... also.... I have a seloc manual that came with the boat... will that tell me how to adjust the steering? in order to travel in a straight line the steering wheel has to be turned to the right about 1/2 a turn... quite annoying.... Any insights on where to find info for adjusting that?

Thanks and have a great night!

pckeen

Commander
Re: Molly Hatchets maiden voyage

Welcome to iboats. The seloc manual is probably just for the engine - not for the steering. I don't have advice for you on the steering, though I'm curious as to what other users have to say.

As for the engine problems - it sounds like you have a few. Start up a thread on the appropriate engine page on iboats, for your engine - and post the issues and problems with it there. There are lots of experienced users there, with an interest in engines, who may be able to help. You are more likely to get detailed responses there. Without more information (make, model, year 2 stroke or 4 stroke), it will be hard for anyone to give you good answers.

Post some pics, so we know what you are talking about - that will help.

Good luck, and enjoy the summer!

jchast

Cadet
Re: Molly Hatchets maiden voyage

Oh yes, absolutely, I will definitely be posting questions in the various forums, especially about the gauges and engine. I just wanted to relay the experience as a whole and ofcourse I got side tracked.... lol :)