MOLDING around boat

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The rubber molding that protects the boat from the dock etc., is really beaten up. How do i restore this??? Thanks guys...

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: MOLDING around boat

I would just replace it with new.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

its called rub rail.....and i boats sells it.......its not that expencive

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it really depends on what type you have, aluminum frame with rubber insert. or full rubber rub rail. that's why they make fenders to keep from tearing up the rub rail.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have rubber with the aluminum frame...just want to freshen it up...not take it off...any suggestions...

salty87

Commander

if it's scratched and gouged up there's not much you can do except replace. if there are just surface marks that aren't also scratched, i've had luck with rubbing compound and a buffer getting some shine back. it's easy to burn it though so be careful as always.

erikgreen

Captain

It's also possible that you can buy just the rubber insert on line. You'd have to take a piece, cut a cross section, measure it, then search somewhere like Overton's.

Other than replacing it, about all you can do is apply something like armor all to the rubber part, and lightly sand the aluminum part to remove deep scratches, then polish. This is hard to do without scratching something else, though.

tallcanadian

Captain

i had rubber inside aluminum on mine. the rubber was hard as anything and scratched deep. the aluminum was oxidized. i removed it and put on a solid rubber bump strip. very nice. looked nice than the old one. glad i did it.