Mold problem

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cut a access panel in the floor of my 19' bayliner capri to store oars and water skis. It was painted with a white oil based paint. Unfortunately, water that sits in there from rain, wave action, etc. is creating mold on my equipment. I am considering sanding and repainting with Interlux brightsides and prekote. Do you think this will help or should I create some sort of shelf for my gear?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mold problem

do you have a drain hole in it. do you store the boat with the bow as high as possible so it will drain. anything wet in a boat, in any compartment will mildew. after a trip remove and let dry, then store. mildew on life jackets, the water police will reject them as unsafe.

salty87

Commander

you'll need to get rid of the water to get rid of the mold. install or move a bilge pump or drain it somehow.

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yup...on both accounts....fix problem then see if there is still a secondary problem IE mildew.....

tashasdaddy

closed spaces, humidity = mildew. i live in Florida.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a livewell built in where the open bow used to be. It is pumped out the side of the boat, but I do have a drain in the bottom of it, to get rid of the last little bit of water, and it flows through the floor compartment right back to the bilge.

I don't see how I can keep water out of the very bottom of the boat. Even when it sits in the driveway, I keep the bow high and the plug out. Works great when it has been dry, but after a rain, there is always a little water in it.

tashasdaddy

you can take a tee shirt , rip it up, 2 inch wide strip. about 16 inch long. with the drain plug out. push 8 inches of the stripe thru the drain hole, let the rest hang down, on the inside, make sure the strip is one the bottom of the boat. the strip acts as a wick. and will siphon all the water out of the boat. boat has to be level on the stern, so all water goes to the center.

also if you care about your boat cover it when not in use.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tashasdaddy, I will try that to dry out. I have a mooring cover on the boat, but I still have some water get in boat during heavy rains. Since this floor storage is right on the bottom of the boat, I am thinking of fiberglassing a flat piece of 1/4" plywood in the compartment. This would still allow a drain passage but keep my above stuff dry.

tashasdaddy

well you have to get it off the bottom of the bilge, even a plastic egg crate type type something would be better. a milk crate cut down so water can flow around it, and keep your stuff dry.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just thinking about it now, my cover is solid, maybe if I cut some air holes in it, or create a slotted cover, it would keep the moisture down.