Moeller 12 Gallon LPT

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just ordered off here about an hour ago! excited to have double the fuel capacity, does anyone here have any thoughts about this tank? Ive read some reveiws on amazon but alot where from 2013 and 14, some were so so, most were good, and they seem like a good company. Any thoughts?

airshot

Rear Admiral
When ever I use a plastic tank I always be sure to keep an open vent when not in use. Have had a couple plastic tanks split open on me in summer heat expansion. This was many years back but wouldnt take a chance even now.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Not much to comment on since there are few choices today.

The newer EPA compliant tanks have a one-way vent. They let air in when the engine is running, but won't let all that nasty global warming gasoline vapors out. So, an open vent does no good.

However, if you push down on the red vent button, it will manually release the pressure.

Out on the water I press the button once in awhile, but at home the boat isn't in the sun anyway, so no problem.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not much to comment on since there are few choices today.

The newer EPA compliant tanks have a one-way vent. They let air in when the engine is running, but won't let all that nasty global warming gasoline vapors out. So, an open vent does no good.

However, if you push down on the red vent button, it will manually release the pressure.

Out on the water I press the button once in awhile, but at home the boat isn't in the sun anyway, so no problem.
wonder if i can buy an "old school" cap

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
wonder if i can buy an "old school" cap
Maybe you could find an old used can, but I don't know if the cap size would be the same. I'm not a fan of plastic tanks. Put the cap on a little crooked and the threads get stripped and then you throw it out. So, even if you got a used one you don't know if its any good or not.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Drill a hole in the top of the tank.
Install a tire valve stem with the inside needle removed.
Put the little cap on when needed
Remove it to vent the tank.

Don’t think an old cap will work. The threads are different.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
40 yrs ago, I had one plastic Tank and 4 steel tanks. I saw the Plastic one reshape itself one hot day. I probably could have removed the Fuel Pump and the 115 would have ran very well for quite a while.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Drill a hole in the top of the tank.
Install a tire valve stem with the inside needle removed.
Put the little cap on when needed
Remove it to vent the tank.

Don’t think an old cap will work. The threads are different.
In principal that sounds like a good idea. The question is how to do the "installation"? Nothing sticks to the poly tanks and they are too thin to try to tap it with threads.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Drill the right size hole and it will snap into place like a grommet.

5C755ACD-CA92-444B-94BC-7900CC6F2E3A.jpeg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Neighbors had issues with their new outboard running. He had left the vent open, and it rained alot. I pumped the tank dry and flushed it, removed th shrader valve on the motor and flushed fresh fuel through. Had it running good. A week later he did the same thing. Cleaned it out again and it dosen't run hardly at all. He took it to a dealer and they can't get it to run after replacing all the parts, including injectors computer and more. I told him before to remove the tank and keep it in the garage when not in use. I hate plastic tanks.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yea i hate plastic as well but this seems like the best option as of right now. I dont know if i can get a metal one or if they even have metal ones liek the old style i had! wish it worked but it leaks like crazy now and the cap doesnt vent like it used too

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
yea i hate plastic as well but this seems like the best option as of right now. I dont know if i can get a metal one or if they even have metal ones liek the old style i had! wish it worked but it leaks like crazy now and the cap doesnt vent like it used too
Its all about maintenance. If allowed to rust they will leak. Unless kept clean, vents will plug up.

The good thing about metal tanks is that minor rust can be removed and bad gaskets can be replaced. Plastic tanks are basically throwaway.

My 2 regularly used metal tanks are 70+ and 55+ years old and both are just fine.

airshot

Rear Admiral
They make vent caps for fuel tanks with a snap on cover/ lid. Bought mine on Ebay, got a dozen plastic vents for less than 10 bucks shipped. You need the correct size hole, they snap into place, mine have never leaked. Cover snaps into place, but will pop open when pressure builds. The have a raised rim around the edge so water cant run in. I use them in all my newer politically correct fuel cans and boat tanks so I dont have issues. As an old fart and a computor dummy, I am not sure howvto create a link ( think that is what they call it). Little yellow vent caps, not hard to find..the hole you drill must be a true 1/2" dia, if bigger the fent wont snap into place......

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They make vent caps for fuel tanks with a snap on cover/ lid. Bought mine on Ebay, got a dozen plastic vents for less than 10 bucks shipped. You need the correct size hole, they snap into place, mine have never leaked. Cover snaps into place, but will pop open when pressure builds. The have a raised rim around the edge so water cant run in. I use them in all my newer politically correct fuel cans and boat tanks so I dont have issues. As an old fart and a computor dummy, I am not sure howvto create a link ( think that is what they call it). Little yellow vent caps, not hard to find..the hole you drill must be a true 1/2" dia, if bigger the fent wont snap into place......
I have those for my gas cans, this one seems like it will work fine without, it has a vent that raises up on the cap to run, and close when not. Shall give it a whirl for a summer and see if needed an extra vent is necessary

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have those for my gas cans, this one seems like it will work fine without, it has a vent that raises up on the cap to run, and close when not. Shall give it a whirl for a summer and see if needed an extra vent is necessary
In the heat of the summer just leave it cracked a tiny amount so the tank doesn't swell up, in the early years of plastic tanks that is what happened to a couple of mine, swelled up and split the seam open, about three gallons of gasoline sitting in the bottom of my boat !!!
Todays plastic tanks are far superior to the early models but still would not allow them to swell up !!!

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In the heat of the summer just leave it cracked a tiny amount so the tank doesn't swell up, in the early years of plastic tanks that is what happened to a couple of mine, swelled up and split the seam open, about three gallons of gasoline sitting in the bottom of my boat !!!
Todays plastic tanks are far superior to the early models but still would not allow them to swell up !!!
Yea it has a thing to open up, ill proly leave that open and get a small blue tarp to cover it up! It does say on the box guaranteed not to leak! I am going to get Form a Gasket No. 3 to put on the fuel hose part that screws into it so it wont leak there when i get that attached! Heck im just more excited i wont have to carry and extra 5 gallons with me everytime i go out to the beach with the kiddos! or on my 30 min boat ride to the dam to fish!

Chief Petty Officer
I have a few Moellers - older style.
3 gallon and 6 gallon.
The vents suck, but they work fine. Never had an issue.
Much preffer Attwood, or Scepter.

When you're filling the tank, compress the tank with your foot, then close the gas cap. Compressing the tank gives you extra room for expansion. Again , never had an issue.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a few Moellers - older style.
3 gallon and 6 gallon.
The vents suck, but they work fine. Never had an issue.
Much preffer Attwood, or Scepter.

When you're filling the tank, compress the tank with your foot, then close the gas cap. Compressing the tank gives you extra room for expansion. Again , never had an issue.
Yea haven't filled it up yet, just the fuel line connector screwed in with some sealant on it. New hose connected. Will put in my boat in a week or so once it starts to warm up alittle. Will be using 3 5 gallon cans to fill her up with as it will be a slight pain to get it in when its full! Im excited tho! I have the scepter 6 gallon one and it leaks alittle fuel around the fuel like plastic thing