mixing oils

scottoz

Seaman
I have a 2000 Merc 60 that I run Quicksilver premium plus in (the semi-synethetic stuff they reccomend for Optimax) because the dealer told me that it cleans better etc.<br /><br />In my recently acquired Yammy 115 93 V4 the guy before me ran Yammylube. I have some Merc oil left. Can I mix it into the Yammy stuff in the main tank? I've got a feeling thats not reccomended. If I went synthetic, should I drain every last bit of oil out of both tanks and start with fresh synthetic?<br /><br />Cheers

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: mixing oils

Many years ago there were some synthetics that did not mix well with other oils, but now, thats not a concern, There would be nothing wrong mixing the two if you do not want to waist oil. However, you are going to hear that you should clean out the tank and install fresh oil from most. I myself would (reccomend) doing this not because there would be a problem but because you will get the full benefit of the better oil. Im not a real fan of the Yammalube. (Please dont ask me why)??

walleyehed

Admiral

Clams, your popcorn is burnt buddy, you shoulda popped it in synthetic... :D :D <br />As for the oil mixing thing..I think the earlier oils of days gone by, synthetics mainly, had a problem of gelling up due to the differences in the purity of the base stock, and as LubeDude said, I don't think that's a serious concern anymore..

mattttt25

Commander

not to ride scott's post, but i have a smiliar question. i throw whatever 2-stroke oil is on sale that week at west marine or boat u.s. in my vro tank. it's usually quicksilver, but sometimes vary (whatever the marina i stop at has) 1998 johnson 150hp. am i doing anything wrong?

Thermodude

Cadet

Well..............Im sure Ill be corrected if Im wrong, but its my opinion that there is nothing wrong in mixing the oil in your tank. The only part of your statement that concerns me is that of using whatever you can get your hands on! Take care of that engine............and it will you in return!

mattttt25

Commander

well, i didn't actually use those words. i think i take pretty good care of it. i just don't pay attention to the exact brand of oil each time. notice i said west marine or boat u.s.- which usually sells decent oils to begin with. i don't buy "bob's super 2-stroke" at wallyworld.<br /><br />just wanted to be sure i was ok. i know some people swear by using the same type of fuel and oil from the same source, purchased the same day of the week. i just don't get into that.

Clams Canino

Commander

I won't make a reccomendation one way or the other. What *I* do with oil depends greatly on my plans.<br /><br />Nice family day on familiar water: 50/1 Pennzoil synthetic Blend. RPM's held to <5300.<br /><br />Pleasure day on the water: 40/1 synthetic blend. RPM's held to <6000.<br /><br />Day that I expect to have another 4 cylinder 125 looper for lunch: Add 100% synthetic to double whatever is in the tank <25/1>, drop a prop pitch, take all the toys out of the boat, tach to the pin. <evil grin><br /><br />-W<br /><br />(Important safety tip! - don't pin the tach on your old inline 6 unless you have all the parts needed to build yourself a new powerhead in the closet.)

LubeDude

Admiral

Clams Canino:<br /><br />I know you think you are doing youself a favor by adding all that oil when you run hard, but it is completly unnecesary and may be actually causing harm. Outboards beacause they are water cooled will not burn off all that oil even at extended high RPM running, this is deffinatly not a case of more is better. If this was a performance engine turning 8000-10,000 RPMs, I would agree to 32-40:1, but you are over doing it buddy.

Clams Canino

Commander

The mercury literature for the "Twister" series (the inline six race motors) called for 25/1. I know a dood that races inlines in sanctioned events and he also goes 25/1.<br /><br />I'm just doing what the factory and the inline experts told me to do.<br /><br />-W

Clams Canino

Commander

Actually I was wrong. The factory literature called for **18/1** in the T2 99ci race motors.<br /><br />T2 Info Page <br /><br />The original Twister which is "closer" to the stock inline than the T2 called for 25/1<br /><br />Twister Page <br /><br />-W

LubeDude

Admiral

If thats the engine you are running, then you are perfectly within your specs! :D :D I obviously didnt know who I was talking too.<br /><br />Thats one awesome old engine that I never even knew exhisted! How many of them still exhist??

Clams Canino

Commander

I'm not running a *Twister*, but I'm running the same basic 99.9ci componants really hard. Same basic design, and will rev that high on a good day.<br /><br />There were not many Twisters made, I've seen one in person. Definatly a rare bird today.<br /><br />-W

LubeDude

Admiral

I see now that "you are the man" when it comes to the Merc inlines, Hard to keep track as to who runs what. The only thing I know about them is that I could identify one blind folded just buy hearing it crank before it starts, nothing sounds like they do. :D

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />I see now that "you are the man" when it comes to the Merc inlines, Hard to keep track as to who runs what. The only thing I know about them is that I could identify one blind folded just buy hearing it crank before it starts, nothing sounds like they do. :D
Mmmmm...I think I like that sound even better than a V8 without a muffler. :D

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Clams Canino:<br />Actually I was wrong. The factory literature called for **18/1** in the T2 99ci race motors.<br /><br />T2 Info Page <br /><br />The original Twister which is "closer" to the stock inline than the T2 called for 25/1<br /><br />Twister Page <br /><br />-W
I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those! It says "new enclosed tuned exhaust system - rapid acceleration and 100mph capability". What the hell could you run 100mph on with one of those?! :eek:

Clams Canino

Commander

Actually, I consider myself "the student" more so than "da man". I've made it a point to identify (and quiz extensively) those people I've met that actively race or have raced the inlines. It's usually in racing stress that the nuances and strange failures manifest themselves. So while I come off as speaking "ex cathedra" regarding the inlines, I'm always learning something new too.<br /><br />And for ZmOz, a very stable, small, boat for 100mph. Rememember, those ads were written by the marketing boys.<br /><br />I didn't mean to hijack the thread, my *point* was that, ya I'll mix oils - for cause. But I wanted to stop just short of telling anyone else to do so, primarily because you can't get a good A-B comparison with a gradulal switch. <br /><br />-W