missing thermostats

thosch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1991 90hp Johnson. Have had it a couple of years. Doing maintenance this spring and found out it had no thermostats. Talked to the previous owner and he said the dealer's shop had removed them in 1994 while working on an overheat problem. The motor runs great, has 125lb compression in all cylinders, running 50:1 mix with VRO disconnnected.<br /><br />The thermostats have been out 8 years now. Should I be concerned about no thermostats, or just continue to run it as-is?<br />Thanks for your time.

D

DJ

Re: missing thermostats

T.H.,<br /><br />I can't tell you to keep running it that way. If it was overheating, there was a reason and I doubt it was the thermostats. More than likely there was something else such as the deflectors in the head(s).<br /><br />My father in law just had his 90 rebuilt due to a broken ring. This was caused by by one bank of cylinders running cold and thus building up carbon behind the rings. It is no different that running your car cold all the time, it leads to excess buildup in the combustion chambers.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: missing thermostats

I agree put in a new thermostat it is better for your motor. It will run better and use less fuel too. Out here ocean water runs about 54 degrees in Aug. In the Twin Citys I'am sure you have cold water a lot of the year. You motor is designed to run between 145 and 170 degrees all the time summer and winter. If it over heats fix that problem.