mircruiser 165 repower to 4.3

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
I have a 87 4Winns 190 horizon with a 165 4 cyl. For now it runs fine, but when the day comes, was thinking of repowering to a 4.3 v6. I would assume that it would hook up to the Alpha 1 just fine, and would need new motor mounts. From reading other threads it looks like the transom plate would have to be changed. Beginning to think that the whole thing might be more trouble than it is worth.:confused: Any and all opinions would be welcome.

Thanks!!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: mircruiser 165 repower to 4.3

Welcome Aboard!
Does your 165 perform well now? Are you happy with the performance?
If so, I myself would rebuild what ya have when the time comes...

If you are crazy about more power, why not sell (when the time comes) and move up to the engine power package you want in another boat?

Also...You may want to post a question like this in the boat discussion forum..This forum is basically for a specific repair question that you are in involved with at the moment....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

My main question is about the feasibility of mating the engine to the outdrive. Since this is the engines and outdrive forum, I thought it appropriate, as the persons here would be the most likely to have well informed opinions as to the problems that might be encountered.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

My bad, I re read your post...I shouldnt post after my bedtime...
Bond-O or Don will know this off the top of their vast and immensely crammed full heads..

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hi,

I'm no expert... But I was planning, and DID have big aspirations about a re-power. But after fiberglassing and coating my deck (way over 100 hours+), and realizing the amount of money and effort, I decided to enjoy they way my boat is... Then buy another boat with a 4.3 at some point. A repower of this nature is not plug and play. On my boat I would need to add width to my bilge stringer, re-gear outdrive, find transom plate with V6 mounts, change the dog-house, because the V6 is to wide, and then buy a used, new, or rebuilt 4.3.

It's kinda like your first house... You figure out what you need, and want for the next time...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

I believe that the 1987 transom assembley would work,...
But,..
You'd need a Completely dressed 4.3l,+ it's Y-pipe to do the Swap....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Thanks Bond-o: OK I'm trying to put this all together in my head, pardon me if I am a little slow after all I am a 470 owner:eek:. The "Y" pipe should connect the engine exhaust to the Alpha 1 transom plate and then exhausts out through the drive same as the 470 correct? Should any 4.3 to alpha 1 "Y" pipe work with any year 4.3 engine or do I have to look for a specific exhaust manifold? There was some mention in a previous thread about the 470 inner transom plate being somehow "different". If the is the case I assume that it would be a simple matter to swap a 4.3 (alpha 1) inner plate correct? That only leaves front motor mounts, which should not be too much of a problem, especially since this is a long term project. Doesn't seem too complicated, no worse than keeping my old Allis Chalmers combine running, and that is WAY more complicated than a boat.:D THANKS!!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Your transom assembley Should work,...Due to the Vintage...

You'll want a Fully Dressed 4.3l,+ a Y-pipe from the mid/ late-80s..

What you Don't want are the 1 piece exhaust manifolds,.. use the 2 piece 1s...

chiefalen

Captain

Your cheapest easy way out, if your in love with the hull is to buy a donor boat with the package you want and switch everything over.

Donor boat being a boat with a bad hull but good motor and drive.

Now that being said, why not use what you have make it last as long as you can, and then get the boat of your dreams with the package you want.

I bet you already know what i think of the motor you have no slam against you, after all i have a stringer drive i'm making last, as long as i can, till i die or hit the lotto.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys: I'm, putting my plan into action.

Now that being said, why not use what you have make it last as long as you can, and then get the boat of your dreams with the package you want.

Because I do love the boat, it's the last of the "full size" 19s (before they included the molded in swim platform in the OAL". Besides I'm, too old, too cheap, too stubborn, it would be too easy and my boat with an easy starting V6 IS the boat of my dreams. Probably a lot of the same reasons you have a boat that is a year older than mine. Somehow I suspect that even if you won the lottery you would keep the Citation, stinger and all.:D