Miracle Accident Photo

tylerin

Commander
Re: Miracle Accident Photo

Spinner isn't a empty tank as, if not more, dangerous then a full one?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> Spinner isn't a empty tank as, if not more, dangerous then a full one?
tylerin, not if the tank stays intact.<br />With the new style tanks and the VRU they use, all the fumes from unloading are captured back into the tank till they reload again, so it's inside the tank, yes, but the tanks are sealed up and if the tank itself is not ruptured, then the fumes remain inside.<br /><br />I'll put it this way, I would rather have a wreck in and empty tank than one with 9000 gallon gas on it.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Hence the saying that the only time you have to much fuel is when you crash.

sheaston

Seaman Apprentice

since its the fumes that light , yes empty worse than full<br />placard reads 1283= gas<br />drove one of these for years in the army

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by sheaston:<br /> since its the fumes that light , yes empty worse than full<br />placard reads 1283= gas<br />drove one of these for years in the army
Look again, 1203 is what it says, and that too is gas.<br />Fumes won't ignite if tank is not compromised.<br />Not the new style tanks.

SpinnerBait_Nut

One more thing I want to add.<br />Checking the 2004 Emergency Response Guidebook, there is no UN 1283 in flamable liquids.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Correct on the 1203 placard. I does kinda look like an eight, but it is in fact 0. <br /><br />SBN...question. If the tank were to be compromised and had mostly fumes.... how would you compare that blast with a full tanker? More initial blast and less burn...? Several of us have been debating this very thing this week. I guess anybody that was there to see it would be DOA. So we can surmise it I suppose...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Gil, a tank that is empty is very volatile if when it is ruptured there is a spark around sufficient enough to ignite the fumes.<br /><br />It would have a very large blast but not much flash is the way I put it.<br /><br />On the other hand, you take 8500 gallon of gas and ignite it, lots of flash there with that much igniting and burning.<br /><br />I have seen them layed up on their sides against the hill with gas leaking out the top and had to pump them off with no problem.<br /><br />The worst thing around any gas is Static electric charge. That will ignite fumes quicker than just about anything.<br /><br />Now as far as your picture goes, that car did not burn untill after it struck that tanker and snapped that downpipe off and the gas went down onto the car's engine. IMO.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you are probably right. I doubt the car started the fire without the fuel from the tanker. I do know this much. A couple of months ago... someone stole a brand new Chevy Dually Pickemup truck a mile or so away from where I live. They went for a joy ride then abandoned it approx 1/8 to 1/4 mile from my house on a dirt road. Then they proceeded to set it on fire. When the tank "blew" my house rocked so hard from the explosion both my wife and myself went outside to see who hit the house. We believed someone actually hit the home. The explosion was that horrific a 1/4 mile away. I noticed a small glimmer of light across the highway where there should not have been one and realized it was a vehicle fire. <br /><br />I can't imagine what a tanker would be like with 9000 gallons or so of fuel at once. <br /><br /> Took a couple of shots of that without a strobe.... picture is fuzzy but doable. Check this one out.
Tinyfire.jpg

SpinnerBait_Nut

Oh yea, you take a fuse and stick one end down in the tanker and light the other end, you better run and run real fast.