Miracle Accident Photo

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Happened Saturday morning. Heavy fog. Gas tanker pulled a U turn into the path of this Mercury Cougar. 3 guys in the Cougar lived. As far as I can tell they were released from the hospital. They must be living right.
TT2.jpg

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Miracle Accident Photo

By the charring, the car obviously burned a bit. Amazing it didn't blow!

Stumpknocker

I've been told when one of these tankers blows.... temps reach 3000 F for quite a ways around the explosion. There was $50,000 damage to the tanker. It appears buckled slightly above the hood of the car.<br /><br />The car burned to the ground. All tires completely consumed.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That looks like an Advantage tank lines truck and from what I can see, it was empty.<br /><br />The car looks like it hit right at the discharges for the tanker. <br /><br />From the placards, it was hauling flamables, prolly gas.

TilliamWe

Banned

If you can zoom in on the placard, "1203" is gasoline. I do not have the capability to to that.<br />I am not sure how there could be $50000 damage to the tanker, cause it isn't worth $50000. But that's just nit-picking. :D <br /><br />Very cool photo, though!

spratt

Lieutenant

I lost an uncle in one of those accidents, way back about 40 years ago...he fell asleep and went right off a bridge...blew everything up, and parts of him were never found...guess ya could say, someone was watchin over those folks...

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br />I am not sure how there could be $50000 damage to the tanker, cause it isn't worth $50000.
Right!! Tell that to an Insurance Adjuster :D :confused:

Stumpknocker

Good point and I wondered about that at the time. If it weren't for the photo I took... I wouldn't believe that it even happened. Our local paper is somewhat of a joke.<br /><br />
placard.jpg

spratt

Lieutenant

Yeah, Tilliam, but...whose side are ya on :D :D

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

must be one of the newer "dry" piped tankers, the fuel is valved in the tank not at the valve under the belly, thus saving people in cars such as this. <br /> whatched a newsjournal about a activist who wanted them to be mandatory because they are not as the time it was broadcast.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by wajajaja:<br /> must be one of the newer "dry" piped tankers, the fuel is valved in the tank not at the valve under the belly, thus saving people in cars such as this. <br /> whatched a newsjournal about a activist who wanted them to be mandatory because they are not as the time it was broadcast.
That has been around for a while, since they started bottom loading, but there will still be gas in the lines from the discharge to the belly of the tank, where the main shut off valve is.<br /><br />This tank was empty, you can tell by the way it is sitting and that is what saved them. IMO

SpinnerBait_Nut

Another thing by looking at the second picture, the very front of the car is sitting right under one of the discharge tubes. You can see the cable that goes from it back to the control box where you open them at.<br /><br />That's prolly what started the fire, what little bit of gas that was left in the tube.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:eek: <br /><br />You could easily sell those pictures and story to a newspaper...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

There's a tank farm 3 miles down the road from my office. One day a few years ago we could see flames shooting up higher than the treetops about a mile away - a tractor somehow pulled away from it's trailer full of gasoline, a block from a day-care center & right out front of an apartment complex which luckily is set well back from the road. Hit a utility pole or something. No injuries but it took 'em awhile to get it under control. Bunch of trees and all the grass around there was black for months.<br /><br />If you know the area, it was on Trinity between 157 & 360 close to the EDS campus.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I pulled tanker for many years starting back in '72 and the worse that I can remember is one night loading Mineral Spirits in one bay of a 2 bay loading ramp, the guy in the other bay did not have his ground strap connected, this I did not find out till after, and he hooked the bottom loader up and started it and I was standing there loading mine and all of a sudden I hear this whistling noise and all of a sudden, kabooom, the back of the tank blew out, flames went out the top of the loading rack, blew this guy thru the pipes of the rack, this fat guy(me) was at a dead run and was passing everyone, up to the guard shack.<br /><br />About 5 minutes later, here comes the other driver and he did not have a scratch on him.<br /><br />Just a mental block that he forgot, but just about caused us our lives.<br /><br />From that moment on, when I pulled in to load and there was another truck there, I checked to make sure it was grounded.<br /><br />Then after a few years when we went to computers on the tanks, it would not give you a green light if it was not grounded right.

cmyers_uk

Some people get all the luck, adding to SBN's lucky escape worked with a security guard at a powerstation in the UK. Nothing phased him , nothing got him stressed asked him why, turned out he was in the army in Ireland and had rounded a corner to be confronted by a milk truck with milk churns turned into a homemade bomb turned too run the device went off stripped all his clothes off blew him off his feet but other than that not a scratch on him. Changed his whole perspective on life. Glad these boy were OK

NYMINUTE

Captain

And the liberals blame SUV's for everything.<br />That is one ugly accident.