MinnKota Traxxis 80 stopping intermittently...?

popol1057

Cadet
I bought a Traxxis 80 motor less than a year ago. It recently started acting up (as in quitting...) after running half/full speed for less than 20-30min. It seems to "spurt" for a few seconds, then stops and starts again. The only way I was able to make it back yesterday was to leave it at 10%...

Are these engines having some kind of thermal overload switch which could be the trouble ?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Check back at the battery for a circuit breaker. That breaker may have de-rated to the point where it cannot handle the motor current at higher speed setting or it is simply the wrong size. What happens in either case is the breaker trips -- then cools off -- resets and the cycle repeats.

popol1057

Cadet
Thanks. Thats the first area I looked at but there are no circuit breakers... Also the motor shows full batterycharge (the Traxxis 80 has a battery indicator on top of the motor...).

Anyone any other ideas or experiences with these Traxxis 80s ?

Thanks !

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
What does the battery indicator on the motor show when it quits? If there is no indication at that time, there definitely IS a breaker somewhere in the feed to the motor. If the indicator shows voltage when the motor quits, then there is a motor problem.

popol1057

Cadet
Was there any resolution to this issue ? I happen to have the EXACT same issue. See small clip showing what my Traxxis 80 is doing…

Appreciate any and all advice !

Attachments

• IMG_6985.mov
    23.8 MB · Views: 0

popol1057

Cadet
Was there any resolution to this issue ? I happen to have the EXACT same issue. See small clip showing what my Traxxis 80 is doing…

Appreciate any and all advice !
I tried a second Traxxis 80 (also 8-10 years old) and strangely enough, it has the same issue... I have basically new batteries, no fuses in the way, directly connected motor but the very same behavior: After anywhere between 10-30 min going full blast, it kicks in and out every few seconds... Voltage at the batteries is still 22-24V...
Do these motors have something like a voltage limiter, ie. do they stop below X volts ?
Any advice appreciated !