Minnesota laws on boat registration and titles?

SilentHyena

Cadet
I have a chance to get a bass boat and trailer basically free but the current owner never received the title from the previous owner. Boat has registration but no title paperwork. Does one apply for a homemade boat title in this instance?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Minnesota laws on boat registration and titles?

contact the agency in your state for that answer, and get the correct one.

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Minnesota laws on boat registration and titles?

It depends on the boat. I bought a 1960 Alumacraft that the owner didn't give me the title for. I brought in the registration numbers off the bow and found that this type of boat was not titled and they switched over the ownership without a problem.

If your boat was titled, you will need to take the registration numbers in to the DMV and find out who it is titled to now and contact them to get the permission to retitle it. Thats how I understand it. Call your DMV license center and they will tell you what you need to know..

One other question, are the registration stickers current and does he have a registration card? If so, the title is probably not an issue or the boat was not titled in the first place.

This link explains about licensing and titling.. http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide.pdf