Minn kota trolling motor issues.

Fishinthe405

Recruit
So I’m new to trolling motors so I’m sure this is user error somehow I just want to know what I’m doing wrong. So I dropped my minn kota power drive into the water and I’m thinking it might not have been deep enough. I was in very shallow water (only a few feet). But when I tried to power up from 1 to 2 the trolling motor would push up and the prop would show. The trolling motor would pretty much come fully out of the water and almost lay itself back down. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just a guess here, but are you shallow enough the motor hits bottom and forces its way back up ?? Other wise my guess it it isn't latched into the down position. On my powerdrive, there is a latch that locks it in the down position...

Fishinthe405

Recruit
I didn’t think so I didn’t feel any kind of resistance from the bottom or anything like that. I’ll have to look about the lock the motor is brand new just bought it like a week ago. When I would turn off the propeller the motor would drop back into place no problem. And then I would turn it on and if it was over 1-2 power the motor would almost breach and then sit with the prop in the water but the front end of it sticking out

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... As noted, the latch, isn't latching down,....

airshot

Rear Admiral
Mine is an older model than yours, the same latch that realeases the motor from its stored position, is the latch that locks it in the down position. Should have instructions in your owners manual !!

Have a Powerdrive v2 myself. There's the metal release pin to tip the motor up from being deployed. Sounds like yours is stuck released and allowing the motor to swing up. Mine did something similar when I first bought it used.

I sprayed some lithium grease on both ends of the pin where it latches and pivots and moved it back and forth a bunch to lube it. Easy fix.