Minn Kota PowerDrive vs. Motorguide PTsv - huge price difference?

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, I need a bit of advice here....<br /><br />I am in the process of purchasing a new trolling motor for walleye fishing and I am a bit surprised at the price difference between a Minn Kota Powerdrive (with AutoPilot & CoPilot & universal sonar) and a Motorguide PTsv (even without the remote control). From what I can see on the Cabelas web site and iboats, the Minn Kota PowerDrive 55 AP/ Univ. Sonar 48" shaft is $730. Add Co-pilot to it for $150 and you have about $880 total.<br /><br />A Motorguide PTsv at Cabelas and iboats starts at $1589! Add to it the new Motorguide digital remote and you add an additional $150 for a total of $1739. <br /><br />I understand that Motorguide's tracking system follows bottom contour/ depth and has a gauge on it that shows depth, temp, and battery status. But, most people would be using a fish finder at the bow position while they troll for walleye anyway, so I don't see the benefit of having that on the motor as it is duplication of what your fish finder is doing. In contrast, Minn Kota's Autopilot only holds a heading and does not follow depth or bottom contour. It does have a battery gauge. <br /><br />I guess, I am looking for your feedback as to why the Motorguide costs almost twice as much as a Minn Kota. Am I missing something here or is Motorguide grossly over priced? I realize that there are some additional bells and whistles, but worth twice as much?<br /><br />Just wondering if I am missing something here....I am planning on buying the Minn Kota, but just wanted to get some feedback as to why such a steep price difference- before I buy...Thanks!

Realgun

Commander
Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive vs. Motorguide PTsv - huge price difference?

ITs easy the Minnkota only goes where you tell it and the Motorguide is capable of keeping you at the depth the fish are where you found on the Fishfinder.<br /><br />I still think yelling here fishy, fishy, fishy, works. :D

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

I do understand the capabilities of the Motorguide vs. the Minn Kota- but, I guess specifically, do you all feel that double the price is worth it to buy the Motorguide PTsv?

montanaman

Seaman Apprentice

Depends on what you want to use it for Z-Man. Trolling on large flats like the Silos probably not. Hugging the shoreline in 5ft of water and not having to make the adjustments yourself then it might be worth the price. I'm waiting for the time when we get in our boats say "catch fish" and all the gadgets go to work automatically.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Montanaman. My primary use will be on the South end of Canyon Ferry (Silos) with the occasion run to Canada maybe once a year. I just can't justify the cost of the Motorguide..... I really like what the Motorguide does, but just can't imagine that I would use it all that much....<br /><br />Again thanks!

davcav8r

Recruit

I've owned both & to me it's a no brainer. The Minn Kota is a far inferior unit to the Motorguide. Imagine being able to fish a depth or a distance off a shore line without having to adjust your motor. Giving you the ability to concentrate only on catching fish. Being able to run from bow to stern or retie another lure without worrying about the boat running aground. I at 1st worried about the expenditure. After owning a Motorquide ptsv for this last summer, I have no doubt in my mind that it was money well spent. I even find it possible to enjoy fishing in the wind. Good luck & fishing either way you go. But know that there's no comparison between these two motors. One will work (kinda) the other will do the work for you. Davcav8r (davcav8r@yahoo.com).

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I use a MK AP and have been with a guide who used the Power Point predecessor to the PTsv.

I guess it depends on what sort of fishing you want to do.

Trolling for walleyes around bars and humps sure makes the PTsv look good but it offers no advantage for casting structure for musky. The AP shines in that case for less than half the bux..

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You don't want a PTsv. There are only 3 places in the country that work on them and it costs $80 to send it. Then it takes an act of GOD to get your money back from Mercury. I have had 2 of them. The original Pinpoint which was nothing but problems and then when they came out with the PRsv I called them to find out if it was new technology or repackaged Pinpoint. I was assured it was new so I tried one of those. It wasn't. Love my MK!!