Minn Kota Powerdrive 50 intermitten running.

grizzly1530

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find anything. I have a 2002 model Minn Kota PD 50 that was given to me last year (serial # MKAC2372724). My buddy upgraded to a 24v system for his boat, so he gave me this one. I installed on my boat, and it worked on dry land, but seemed to spin slow, emitting virtually no power on speed 2 on the foot control, and it seemed slow on speed 10. I was in the process of doing some work on the boat, so I didn't get it out on the water last year to test it out, so this spring, before the fishing opener, I went to try it out, and it would spin for a few seconds, and then stop. I took the lower unit apart, and it looks like a seal failed, and it got water into it. Its rusted, but not terribly so. Do you think if I replace the armature, and buy a brush kit, it would fix the problem? Is there any way to test this? I love the power drive motor, but they are now around 600 dollars for even the basic motor. I have had cable driven motors before, and know Minn Kota makes a decently priced cable driven motor, but I don't like the space they take up. Thanks for all of your input!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota Powerdrive 50 intermitten running.

Without pictures nobody can begin to guess whether the motor can be salvaged. It may need bearings as well. The reason it was running intermittently might have been due to tight bearings. That causes excess current flow which then trips the circuit breaker. That also accounts for the slow speeds. A weak battery also can cause poor operation.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Grizzly,
I had the same problem with my minn kota PD65. Ok here is what I did. First off call the support desk at minn kota, and ask them to email you the test procedures for the foot pedal and motherboard. Free.. PD's are know for bad foot pedals. Now here is where you break your piggy bank.. Clean and dry the lower unit. Bushes 3.00 each, make sure you check the plastic cap that the bushings and the nose of the armature sit in for cracks. iT sits down in the nose of the unit...4.00 for plastic cap..then check the roller on the front of the armature that the bushing ride on.. 1.25 for the roller..then another 6.00 for new bolts, washers, and gaskets two of them on the end plate. You have to knock them out. they are both metal with rubber around them...one in the front and one in the rear of the housing plate. Becareful of the big round gasket, it may fool you..its white and looks like greese. Now, check the armature for any broken wires, if you solder you can repair them yourself... If not, its a new armature around 60.00 ..The best ride of you life Priceles.... to replace everything besides the armature is really cheap... nothing over 7.00 My minn kota service guy suggest to me to just change every... also check your wiring, make sure you are not grounding out at the top..I had that problem too.r

grizzly1530

Seaman Apprentice

I will try to get pictures up soon. Under Mandatory OT for work, so have to fit that in first. I was wondering though, Silvertip, aren't the bearings and all of that in the armature? The armature that I found for my motor has the prop shaft too. I checked the battery by plugging another friend's PD into it, and ran it, and it ran perfect. The foot pedal on mine is new, my buddy that gave it to me had just gotten a new one, and then upgraded to his new one. Mav, are all the parts you are talking about available at any hardware store? I'm sorry, I know basically nothing about electric motors. But you can replace the wheel on the armature? The brush kit, is that universal? or would I need one from Minn Kota? Sorry for all the questions.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Bearings are not part fo the armature. The armature is wound on the shaft. The shaft spins in a bearing at each end. The bearings are in the motor housing. There are no "universal" parts. In other words if you walked into a hardware store and asked for brushes for a Minnkota trolling motor they would likely say --- What???? For the same reason you can't get parts for a Mercedes at a Ford dealer.

grizzly1530

Seaman Apprentice

While I am sitting at work, bored, and thinking. I am looking at the parts, and it seems that with a new brush kit, and new armature, the entire lower unit would be rebuilt. When I look at the parts sites, I see that the 24v stuff fits in the 12v housing. If I buy a new brush kit for a 24v for 35.00 with all the bearings, brushes, and connections, the new armature for a 24v for 60.00, and a new control panel for a 24v for 87.00, could I potentially turn this into a 24v 70lb thrust version? Or are there other parts that wouldn't make this feasible? I really wish I wasn't working right now so that I didn't have all these potentially bad ideas running through my head, haha.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And you are willing to spend $200 on the off-chance you can make this motor a working 24V version, then spend another $70 for another battery so you are close to 300 with the addition of a bigger prop. Not good economics. I will stop short of saying it can't be done, but you've already indicated you know little about electric motors so I suggest you have a long chat with folks at MinnKota or a MinnKota repair center to see if this stuff is indeed a direct interchange. Overlooking one small detail leaves you with $200 worth of parts that you'll need to sell for probably 50 cents on the dollar. Have you thought about checking Craigs List or E-bay for a working motor (minus the shaft, pedal and head)?

grizzly1530

Seaman Apprentice

I figured it wouldn't be a good idea, but I thought if anyone had ever done it, it might work. I have, Craigslist doesn't have any for a decent price, and the ones on ebay are more expensive than what I'll pay by doing it myself, and getting the exact parts that went to my motor. I can get the brush kit, that comes with all the ball bearings, brushes, springs, plastic mounting bracket, and o-rings, and seals for 35.00, and a new armature for 60.00 for my actual motor. I think I will go that route once I find out for sure that the lower unit is the problem. For 95.00 plus 10 shipping, my motor will basically be new, which is much better than paying 550 for a new powerdrive.

grizzly1530

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Mav. I called Minn Kota on the 1st and asked them to e-mail this to me, and I haven't received anything. Is there any chance that you still have that, and could forward it to me?

Stillable

Recruit

Without pictures nobody can begin to guess whether the motor can be salvaged. It may need bearings as well. The reason it was running intermittently might have been due to tight bearings. That causes excess current flow which then trips the circuit breaker. That also accounts for the slow speeds. A weak battery also can cause poor operation.
I see this is a old post I stumbled onto but I have a similar problem hoping someone can help. I have a Minn Kota Power Drive 65. Only runs fast and won't turn. I’ve replace the pedal board and pedal, no change. I was told it probably needed a power head board replacement but can’t find one. Anyone know where to purchase one?