"Minn Kota power drive" trolling motor nowmakes groaning noise and has no more power?

jplomeo

Cadet
"Minn Kota power drive" trolling motor nowmakes groaning noise and has no more power?

Hi all,
My Minn Kota Power Drive trolling motor suddenly stopped working properly after working flawlessly for several years. The propeller now turns only up to about the# 3 setting, higher than that, the motor emits a groaning noise and the prop does not turn. It was functional & fine right up to then. When at the lowest settings, if I apply pressure with my hand to the hub of the prop (simulating water pressure on the blades) the prop stops and again the groaning noise- basically has no torque or propelling power. Battery bank is fully charged, shear pin intact. Any one have any ideas what is wrong? how difficult would it be to fix for someone who is mechanically pretty handy (can replace my outboard water pump, take apart & rebuild carb, etc. )
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
JP

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: "Minn Kota power drive" trolling motor nowmakes groaning noise and has no more po

Re: "Minn Kota power drive" trolling motor nowmakes groaning noise and has no more po

I suspect the motor has leaked water into the housing and the bearings are toast. Pull the prop. Check the shaft for fish line wrapped tightly around it. That line can cut the seal which allows water inside. Not good for the motor or the bearings.

jplomeo

Cadet

Hi Silver tip,
I did pull the prop and no line there now. Of course, over time I have had that happen but I usually realize it right away and remove the line. It is possible that having that happen now and then over time has possibly damaged the water seal and allowed water inside. Is this a do it yourself job or should I leave to a trolling motor tech?