Minn kota armature bearing doesnt turn

moira123

Recruit
Hey guys,
I have the endura 46. I have the whole thing apart. Can you tell me if the bearing forward of the commentator is supposed to turn? Also are the brushes supposed to have a curve in them. Sorry for the neebee questions but i have no idea whats wrong with this tm after i cleaned the brushes and everything.
Thank you so much

Chuck93

Cadet
Check with a multimeter to verify you have power to the brushes if you do make sure that the area on the armature where the brushes contact isn’t corroded
had a Minkota that got a bit of moisture in it and corroded that part of the armature after cleaning it up it worked again

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Brushes ride on the commutator which is round. So yes - they should have a slight curve so they make good contact.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Hey guys,
I have the endura 46. I have the whole thing apart. Can you tell me if the bearing forward of the commentator is supposed to turn? Also are the brushes supposed to have a curve in them. Sorry for the neebee questions but i have no idea whats wrong with this tm after i cleaned the brushes and everything.
Thank you so much
If it is a sleeve bearing it will not rotate and the commutator shaft turns inside it. If it is a ball or roller bearing, then yes - the inner portion of the bearing will rotate.

moira123

Recruit
Ok well this is what i got. Its the thing above the commentature. Should this turn independently from the commentature?
There is no bearing on the other end of the armature. Thanks guys. I'll check for voltage at the brushes tommorrow.
20221124_191351.jpg

Chuck93

Cadet
That bearing is supposed to turn also the straight round section of the motor case comes off makes getting to the brushes easier

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your Minn Kota is about 15 years old. That is about how long they last.

Most likely a seal or two went bad, or the unit was stored in a ski locker and the plug was left in and the bilge filled

The bearing should spin like a fidget spinner. So you will need to replace it

You need to replace the seals

You also need to test the unit electrically

moira123

Recruit
Ok, i was just going to bang on it to free it up. I tested the armature, bar to bar, 180, and bar to ground. Via youtube video. The bar to ground test did not give me the OL reading, it just kept climbing, i quit watching it at 70 + kohms.
I also had the black wire fall off the brushes, i fixed it. It was full of water and sat in my garage for 20 years. The switch is still good though. And i was getting voltage on the output of the switch.
Unfortunately i dont have a serial no. So im not sure how im going to order parts.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ok, i was just going to bang on it to free it up...........It was full of water and sat in my garage for 20 years...........Unfortunately i dont have a serial no. So im not sure how im going to order parts.
Banging on it isn't the answer

Sitting full of water means the motor is shot

You need a serial number to get parts