Minimum Wage Hike?

NYMINUTE

Captain
Should the Minimum Wage be increased Nationally, By State or not at all.

one more cast

Captain
Re: Minimum Wage Hike?

My wife and I were discussing this this morning. Many people say that if people would try harder they could get good paying jobs. So if everyone gets better paying jobs then nobody would apply for the bottom jobs. Now with nobody to wait tables,run errands,mop the floors and such you have no business. So now in order to fill these positions you will have to pay people more and they will no longer be minimum paying jobs. I guess I am saying these jobs are important and are worth more then $5 an hour. On the other hand the business owners and upper management will not give up there super high wages so the pee ons can make a little more income so the businesses will just raise up their prices to make up the difference and then the cost of living will go up and nobody wins. I'm not sure what the heck all that means. :confused:

eeboater

Commander

Well, I chose leave it alone for now. But in reality, I would have prefered Leave It alone Permanently. When I was in high school, I worked for a cobbler in Green Bay who helped shape me as the conservative I am today. One of the first things I learned from him was on the topic of the minimum wage. It really struck home because I was working at minimum wage at the time. <br /><br />My opinion is this. The only people in the USA who are working at minimum wage are people who DESERVE minimum wage. Those people are high school workers. There isn't anyone out there who is supporting a family while earning minimum wage. Why? Because it's IMPOSSIBLE!!<br /><br />I believe that people show get what they earn. Handouts do nothing but encourage laziness. The days of sweat-shops in the US and horrible working conditions of the 20's are long gone. If there are horrible working conditions, people make it known! Plus, it's a free market, if there is CRAPPY working conditions in one place, go somewhere else! If that employer is so crappy they cannot keep employees, they will go out of business. The market eliminates organizations like that.<br /><br />All a minimum wage hike does is hurt the employer. It does NOT help the employee - think about it. A $1.00 an hour raise on a minimum wage employee gets them, what, 40 bucks a week? Thats if they are working full time. I spend that much on GAS each week.<br /><br />The effect on the employer is much worse. He has to pay EACH employee more and pay more in taxes. Then, on top of that, all his OTHER non-minimum wage employees ***** that THEY aren't getting a raise. So he has to appease them as well.<br /><br />Sean

dolluper

Captain

If you raise mimimum wage it doesn't stop there everyone then wants a raise the unions go nuts the strikes begin and when it all ends only the politications get a raise as if thet deserve it

Carphunter

Commander

Well, I disagree somewhat. Unfortunately, many employers continue to rake in the money, when the very people that allow that to happen are underpaid. By leaving it alone, it would take quite a while for someone to reach a level of pay that would allow them to make it in this world. I'm not for free handouts either, but I get sick and tired of these huge corporations screwing the little guy out of pay, when that person works their rear off. Most employers seem to have forgotten that its the employees that keep the wheels turnin.

eeboater

Commander

Carp, how many people do you know that are working at minimum wage?<br /><br />Sean

JRJ

Commander

The minimum wage helped me retire. When I figured out I could retire and only lose about that much, I quit. Now if I could just get a job pumping gas at the marina, I'd be in 'em :cool:

gaugeguy

Captain

Jus anoder zample of da man tryin to keep us bruddas down :p

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> If you raise mimimum wage it doesn't stop there everyone then wants a raise the unions go nuts the strikes begin and when it all ends only the politications get a raise as if thet deserve it
Our Canadian brother has it spot on. So much is tied into COLA. <br /><br />Besides that... what is a "fair" minimum wage anyway?<br /><br />Another random thought... how many of you want a "minimum wage" person working on anything you own???

LubeDude

Admiral

I was talking about this with my boss yesterday, he has about a dozen employees. Even though he pays them all more than the minimum wage, he is against it. He would hire some things done if he didnt have to pay minimum wage, but he dosnt because of it. Its like people getting the underwear in a twist over wallmart paying too little. Those jobs are not and were never intended to be family wage jobs. They are enrtry level jobs for people that are just out of school or working there way through school. We all had those kinds of jobs growing up. The farmers here have a hard time paying kids to work just bucking hay in the summer. Its not worth paying them minumum wage. They screw around most of the time anyway. On another note, Its the Unions that are as responsable as the do gooders here on the Oregon coast for screwing up the economy here.<br /><br />No minumum wage, and no unions either.<br /><br />The unions had there place at one time, but they are no longer needed.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ya know I agree with everone here about minimum wage being for entry level jobs.<br /><br />But on the other hand, everytime there is talk of rasing the min wage, the doomsayers talk about how it hurts this, and dadada....<br /><br />In the end can someone show me how it really hurt anything the last time they raised it?<br /><br />In reality, so few workers actually are making minimum wage anyway, it doenst effect that many people.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> <br /><br />In reality, so few workers actually are making minimum wage anyway, it doenst effect that many people.<br /><br />
So, why do it?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

EEBoater..<br />
Those people are high school workers. There isn't anyone out there who is supporting a family while earning minimum wage. Why? Because it's IMPOSSIBLE!!<br />
The days of sweat-shops in the US and horrible working conditions of the 20's are long gone.
Granted, the number of folks trying to make it on minimum wage (or close too it) is relativly small, thats a bit of a nieve outlook IMHO, EE.... <br /><br />As far as raising the minimum wage, Personally, I don't have an opinion either way..

Carphunter

Commander

Well ee, a couple of younger fella's I know make the minimum. I've been on both sides of the fence, and i'm here to tell ya that not everybody that makes the minimum is worthless.<br /><br />Minimum wage should reflect the cost of living, ...........right now, I don't think it does.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Carp, minimum wage should never reflect the cost of living.<br /><br />The cost of living is about 10-12/hr. Does a guy working at McDonalds serving fries deserve 10 /hr.<br /><br />Nope.<br /><br />Ken

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The politicians don't care if it is raised or not. It doesn't really pertain to them because they want to look good at the busness mans expense.

Drowned Rat

Captain

All raising the minimum wage does is increase the rate of inflation. So it's really not much of a raise at all. They get more money, but then businesses have to charge the customers more to pay their minimum wage workers. Everybody loses.

Carphunter

Commander

Your opinion Ken. If somebody can't make a living on minimum wage, then it should be called "Below" minimum wage.<br /><br />Minimum wage is just another way for companies to under pay people.<br /><br />Thats my opinion. Which probably is worth the minimum. ;)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

In this area a lot of people work minimum. Cost of living here that makes a comfortable but simple living. <br />The problem is this....people say the corperate fat cat gets rich while his workers get paid below what they should. OK, so lets raise minimum to make it even. Do you really think that the owners of these businesses will cut into their own pockets to pay their employees the new minimum? NO, they will raise their prices to accomidate. They will never take a cut in their own personal life style. So what happens is exactly what happened last time minimum was raised. prices go up to meet it. <br />Look this way, McDonalds charges 35 cents for a burger. They pay on the average 10 cents for that burger to the cook to make it. It costs then 15 cents to buy that burger from the supplier. That makes a 10 cent profit, just to put a figure to it. Now it suddenly takes 20 cents for the cook to get paid to make it. Do you honestly think McDonalds will take the 10 cent loss per burger? No they will raise prices 15 cents to make up for it and give themselves a little. Which means that cook will be paying the same if not more to eat that burger when he is on lunch break. Meaning that his usable money each week will be the same. <br />By forcing those people to pay us more, we are only taxing ourselves. Should be easy to see.<br />Now for those that don't make minimum wage, they will still have to pay the grocery store owner more so he can pay his bag boys minimum. So our income won't go up since we are already above minimum wage. Eventually it will catch up, but not right off. So we are actually making the same but there will be a forced jump in inflation rates.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> I was talking about this with my boss yesterday, he has about a dozen employees. Even though he pays them all more than the minimum wage, he is against it. He would hire some things done if he didnt have to pay minimum wage, but he dosnt because of it. Its like people getting the underwear in a twist over wallmart paying too little. Those jobs are not and were never intended to be family wage jobs. They are enrtry level jobs for people that are just out of school or working there way through school. We all had those kinds of jobs growing up. The farmers here have a hard time paying kids to work just bucking hay in the summer. Its not worth paying them minumum wage. They screw around most of the time anyway. On another note, Its the Unions that are as responsable as the do gooders here on the Oregon coast for screwing up the economy here.<br /><br />No minumum wage, and no unions either.<br /><br />The unions had there place at one time, but they are no longer needed.
jealous you can't get a Union Job Lubey..."snicker"