Milk prices, what gives!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Milk prices, what gives!

just a little statistical trivia BS I ran into dealing with milk production.<br /><br />2004 January-June production'04 total is NA<br />#1 California<br />#2 Wisconsin<br />#3 New York<br />#4 Pensylvania<br />#5 Idaho<br /><br />Pounds per capita<br />California #8<br />Wisconsin #3<br />New York #17<br />Pensylvania #11<br />Idaho #1 <br /><br />Largest Per Capita Decreases <br />#1 Arkansas<br />-Rhode Island<br />-Alabama<br />-Hawaii<br />-Louisiana<br />-Mississippi<br />-New Jersey<br />-Massachusetts<br />-Delaware<br />#10 Connecticut<br /><br /> <br /><br />statistics .. :rolleyes:

KaGee

Admiral

I think that the price of CHEESE-HEADS took a sharp downward trend this evening. :p <br />
18_1_303.gif

Skinnywater

Commander

Fireship1 asks;<br />
Milk prices, what gives!
The answer is simple of course. :p <br /><br /> "The federal dairy program is a tangled web of mind-numbing pricing schemes that have metastasized into a more layered, incomprehensible, intrusive labyrinth increasingly divorced from economic realities. Rather than allowing the marketplace to determine the price of milk, dairy prices are controlled by behind-the-scenes maneuvering in Washington, bureaucratic log-rolling, and regional political favoritism." <br /><br /> http://agriculture.senate.gov/Hearings/Hearings_2000/wl00208/0029fry.htm

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You got it right skinnywater.<br /><br />jtexas, I do a pretty good job of it, cause I like garlic on my food. :) <br /><br />Actually I used to cut it, about 2200# per hour. <br />Now a crew of 5 shreds about 18,000# per hour.

Link

Rear Admiral

Got Milk and hot buttered Corn bread! Life don't get much better! :D <br />Between 2.25 and 2.50 a gallon here

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My neighbor is a dairy farmer and the farm has been in operation since the 1800's.<br /><br />It's the middle men who are raising the prices. My neighbor's milk money income has not risen over the years and if it was his only source of income he would be out of business.<br /><br />Bob

aspeck

Staff member

Man, I am a milk drinker, and what I won't do for a big, all, cold glass of the stuff right now! Get so thirsty for it, I even end up drinking that non-refrigerated stuff, and powdered milk here in Ghana, but that stuff will kill ya! Yea, I would give about $10 a gallon for the good stuff about now. Maybe even more!

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The local dairy man (5th generation) around the corner from me hadn't seen a raise in his income since 1973 until only last year. He's a small farmer with about 150-200 head, and big operating costs. We support him by going through one gallon of skim every day in our house @ $2.65/gallon. Worth every penny.

spratt

Lieutenant

Good old Fred Meyer (Kroger to others int eh USA) often has a sale with 3 Gallons for $6.00...we think that is pretty good, because otherwise it is well over $3/gal in this neck of the woods.<br /><br />Link, you must be rpicing on the base at the Commissary? The gen public doesn't get that price. <br /><br />Our local Convenience stores used to be able to sell it for $1.29/gal...but I do remember reading and hearing about a Gov. thing where they de-regulated the pricing on milk, and that is when it shot up. The grocer I talked to said it ould go as high as $5/gal after the de-reg, but it hasn't yet!!!<br /><br />Also, I am sure the gas pricing has caused some extra costs...

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Up here in Upstate NY we pay $1.69 a gallon for the milk.This is mostly because Our local grocery store chain(wegmans) owns a few dairy farms.The reason why NJ and New England pay a higher price is because of the North Eastern Dairy Compact which was set up to protect dairy farmers from extreme market fluctuations.A few years ago very many small dairy operations were forced out of business in Upstate because of low market prices.Now there are far fewer farms ,but they are better protected.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

The Italian’s that did it to NJ farmers and the metro milk prices. Pharmalat milk scandal and the resulting bankruptcy. Pharmlat was the main whole sale consumer and they buy on credit, and they have to post payment bonds. My casual knowledge needs more research and time is short now, more to come.

brother chris

Commander

Prices have always stayed the same here for milk. <br />Anywhere from $4.00- $5.00 for a gallon. <br />But I guess it is just a matter of time before they raise the price of it. :rolleyes:

spratt

Lieutenant

At $5/gal, I would be drinking no more milk, I guess...or have my own cow...man, Chris!!!! That is outrageous...but I also know folks will pay whatever the asking price is...just like gasoline, lots of whining, but the pumps keep pumping...

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

NJ has a minimum price law on milk that require it be sold at a price that provide for cost of bringing it to market, it can not be used as a sale item or leader below that price, they also prohibit direct farm sales.