Milk prices, what gives!

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone noticed how the price of a gallon of milk seems to be going through the roof? A gallon here costs close to four bucks and I heard on the news that by summer it will be close to five bucks a gallon! I think the dairy farmers have been comparing notes with the oil companies. Seems like since gas prices have gone up everyone else seems to be following suit. I love to drink coffee all day long and use lots of milk. Think I might have to start drinking the coffee black by summer so I have gas money for the boat! :D Anyone else here see milk prices going sky high in their neck of the woods?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Milk prices, what gives!

News reports are that there is a milk shortage after the holidays because... get this.... they used it all making holiday cheeze, cream and eggnog. So feds allow them to raise the price.<br /><br />Think the price will drop after they get production back to normal?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Milk prices sky rocketed here almost a year ago!!! :eek: <br />Super markets, Shaws chain and Stop & Shop chain around here get between 3.60-4 bucks a gallon!!! My local corner store, Richdales went from 1.99 to 3.69 Cheapest in our town is the, White Hen Pantry, 2.29 a gallon!!! I'm a milk drinker and use 2gals. a week!!!!<br />Do you think the farmers got any of that increase???? :rolleyes: <br />Might have to buy a cow,milk it!!! then slaughter it for meat!!!! :p :p

gaugeguy

Captain

I myself haven't had a glass of milk in over 15 years, just the thought of it sickens me. But...I do have two growing boys that are eating me out of house and home and I easily go through 4-5 gallons a week.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dairy farmers began selling off cows when the price of beef began to escalate because of the Atkins Diet craze a couple of years ago. Therefore, production is down and demand is constant or up a bit.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

It costs a lot to raise a cow these days.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Milk is about the only thing I havn't noticed a price change on here, but then gasoline can be over 2 bucks. :)

KaGee

Admiral

Around $2.00 a Gal. here. <br /><br />I've noticed how some will scream over milk and simular commodities, yet see no problem shelling out a $1.00 or more for 20oz of WATER!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah - no foolin' on the $2 + for designer water. I'm in the wrong business! :D

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Around $2.00 a Gal. here. <br /><br />I've noticed how some will scream over milk and simular commodities, yet see no problem shelling out a $1.00 or more for 20oz of WATER!
Well said KaGee.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Around $2.00 a Gal. here. <br /><br />I've noticed how some will scream over milk and simular commodities, yet see no problem shelling out a $1.00 or more for 20oz of WATER!
KaGee, I wouldn't pay $1 for the water, but I would give someone $1 to keep a cold bottle of clean water handy when & where I need it. But I do hate to pay extra for fancy packaging or designer labels!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Listen to all the complaints from our members in the northeast. <br />Well, just blame Kerry and his northeast milk alliance pricing system. Sure glad he isn't prez, or we all would be paying that much.<br /><br />Milkfat prices always spike this time of year. Not unusual for cheese prices to double. We will use about 140,000 of cheese per day in the plant I work in. We are very aware of price fluctuations.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

just wish the Farmers felt the jingle of a few extra sheckles in their pockets due to the increases.. <br /><br />but, then again, most parlor farms here have a crew of low wage 'migrant workers' working 24/7 to aid in keeping the check book nice and healthy..<br /><br />.... I don't know where I'm headed with this .. I got lost someplace...

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, you can bet the average small farmer is still broke. Parents dairy herd went down the road a few years ago....<br /><br />It makes me sad to know that such a wonderful way of life will soon be gone.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> I wouldn't pay $1 for the water, but I would give someone $1 to keep a cold bottle of clean water handy when & where I need it.
I'm with you on that one. I see folks here in the grocery store buying it cases at a time. They are the folks I am refferring to. Our city water has been rated with the best in the country for water quality. And it's dirt cheap.<br /><br />When I was in the Carribean last year, I would not think of drinking anything other than bottled.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> We will use about 140,000 of cheese per day in the plant I work in. We are very aware of price fluctuations.
one question: who cuts all that cheese? :D :D <br /><br />sorry, just couldn't resist

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Milk is $2.29 a gallon here but butter is close to 5.00 a pound!!!!

D

DJ

The prices are obviously regional. Milk is not a product that is transported long distances.<br /><br />Prices here are nowhere near the northeast prices. Maybe that's why this area is filling up with northeasterners.

one more cast

Captain

Last summer I was talking to the only small dairy farmer left in the town that I live in and he was telling me that the farmer was finally going to get more money for their milk. Thats all I know about it.