Milk, bread, & eggs

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
This goes with daves snow shovel post but rather than hijack it, I though it should be it's own topic.<br /><br />If there was a way to buy futures in the bread, milk & egg industry for a particular region on a particular day you could be rich if you could predict snow. Why is it that everybody has to run out and get these items. I've seen stores in my area sold out right before a storm. When, especially in my area, you can walk to a store and get these items. It's not like we're living in the Rockys and are going to get snowed in for days.<br /><br />I actually like it when we get a heavy snow. That's when I go grocery shopping. I hop into the 4wd sleigh and have the store just about to myself.

D

DJ

Re: Milk, bread, & eggs

And don't forget the "medicine".<br /><br />I always wondered what medicine they are talking about when they say they are distributing, food, water and medicine.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it's a carryover from the old days when we didn't have a daily restocked 7-11 , wawa or cumberland farms on every corner.Habits are hard to changs.

eeboater

Commander

Yeah I must agree with you jg. The hype where you see people stocking up on the basics when there is a threat of "bad snow" is ludacris. In the past 100 years, how many people in urban and suburban areas have been "snowed in" at their house for anything greater than 2 days at once! I mean, come on! Because there is a lot of snow on the ground, does that mean the water is going to stop flowing to our faucets? And, do you really not have enough food that you can't wait the 6 hours for the roads to get plowed?<br /><br />Cripes!!!<br /><br />Sean

KaGee

Admiral

What? It's going to SNOW???<br /><br />Darn it..... got to get to the store and fast.<br /><br /> :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

1221.gif
<br />This a kick start the economy campaign. Dairy farmers, and grocery stores love this. Oh yes, fill your gas tank too. hey KaGee: Yes...thats why we call it Winter. I am glad I am here to help you prepare for events of this nature. :D

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Oh yes, fill your gas tank too. [
Talk about an oxymoron.... go fill up your tank... a snowstorm is coming, you will be snowbound untill the roads are plowed, but fill up your tank... the gas stations might be forced to shut down! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Do you need milk? I'm going to the store..... :D

Fly Rod

Commander

:) People difinitly panic buy!!! :rolleyes: <br />and the biggest item seems to be bread, so they must be planning on having plenty of peanut butter & jam sandwiches!!!! :p <br />I could eat for a month just on dry goods that we have around the house!!!!<br /><br />davexx: you must be very young!!<br /> It's not a carry over from the old days !!!<br />way!!way!! before 7-11s there were always the ma & pa stores almost on every street corner!!! There were no chain stores, just nice everyday neighborhood people!!! :D <br /><br />The problem today is the media hype of the weather!!! Where I live on the east coast we always look forward to a good ole "Noreaster" with winds almost at hurricane force, 12" or better of snow and as kids we played out in a hurricane at the oceans edge and let that good ole "Sea Spray" rain down on us!!! Today around here the police block the roads leading to the ocean and call it "Hazardeous"!!!! ;) :cool:

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Filling up the gas tank is a good idea. I gives you extra weight which gives you extra traction in the snow.<br /><br />Stocking up is a waste. The worst storm ever knocked out electricity at my appartment for 5 days. (ice storm). The entire time the power was out I could easily take the car and go to a store with power and get whatever..<br /><br />- Brian

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> <br /><br />Do you need milk? I'm going to the store..... :D
<br />No but can I have the money instead? I'm saving up for a Tropical Vacation this SUMMER. :D :D

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Ok, I'm guilty of the fill your gas tank syndrome. But here is my reasoning. It's an easy way to add weight to the vehicle. Just in case I do have to go out. Plus the roads are still cruddy after the snow so a little extra weight never hurts.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Fly Rod:<br /> :) People difinitly panic buy!!! :rolleyes: <br />and the biggest item seems to be bread, so they must be planning on having plenty of peanut butter & jam sandwiches!!!! :p <br />I could eat for a month just on dry goods that we have around the house!!!!<br /><br />davexx: you must be very young!!<br /> It's not a carry over from the old days !!!<br />way!!way!! before 7-11s there were always the ma & pa stores almost on every street corner!!! There were no chain stores, just nice everyday neighborhood people!!! :D <br /><br />The problem today is the media hype of the weather!!! Where I live on the east coast we always look forward to a good ole "Noreaster" with winds almost at hurricane force, 12" or better of snow and as kids we played out in a hurricane at the oceans edge and let that good ole "Sea Spray" rain down on us!!! Today around here the police block the roads leading to the ocean and call it "Hazardeous"!!!! ;) :cool:

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fly Rod,if you consider 69 way way young,thats me to a T. Mom and pop stores in my area never got daily restocking.mattter of fact our milk and bread was always delivered(weather permitting)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Full tank syndrome...Let me tell ya fellows this move just may save your life someday. Just the other day a local gal went to get firewood in the middle of our 38 degree below cold snap. Long story short she got stuck and the truck ran out of gas at 4am. with the truck getting cold she and her sons walked for help...She is currently in the ramsey county burn unit with severe frost bite. I'll but she wisshes she had a full tank of gas. There is more reasons than this but filling your tank is cheap assurance that could avoid several life threatining scenerios that play out every winter.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You'll get more more pounds of fuel per gallon of gas if you fill your tank when it's cold.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

re;Full tank syndrome. You use the same amount of gas and spend the same amount of money wether you regularly fill up your tank when its empty or half full.Better to always be ready regardless of the weather. <br /><br /><br />ps; don't know how to make all these smily faces.

KaGee

Admiral

Dang it all anyway... they just upped gas prices over $.20/gal overnight.

ndemge

Commander

...nice theory, cept the tanks are burried deep, the gas is the same temp year round.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> You'll get more more pounds of fuel per gallon of gas if you fill your tank when it's cold.

one more cast

Captain

I wouldn't want to be stuck in a snow drift in the middle of nowhere for the night with an empty tank.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by davexx:<br /> re;Full tank syndrome. You use the same amount of gas and spend the same amount of money wether you regularly fill up your tank when its empty or half full.Better to always be ready regardless of the weather. <br /><br /><br />ps; don't know how to make all these smily faces.
Two reasons to keep your tank as empty as possible:<br />1. If gas prices are falling - defer purchases as long as possible.<br />2. A gallon of gas weighs about 6.1 pounds (+/- depending on the temperature); figure out the impact one pound of cargo has on your fuel burn rate, and you'll see that, all else being equal, it's cheaper to drive with less fuel. <br /><br />But if prices are rising rapidly, fill up every chance you get.