Milk-Bone Dog Biscuits

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Milk-Bone Dog Biscuits

mikeandronda... I could tell you why dogs smell other's butts if you really wanted to know. It's a very interesting concept. Actually it's a stupid little poem that I, for some strange reason, learned years ago. Sometimes I wonder how so much usless trash ended up in my head and so little useful stuff.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The dogs once held a meeting; they came from near and far.<br />Some of them came by train, and others by trolley car.<br /><br />But before they got inside the hall and allowed to take a look,<br />They had to take their rear ends off and hang them on a hook.<br /><br />Then in the hall they went at once... the Mother, son and sire.<br />But hardly were they seated when some "mongrel" hollared "FIRE!"<br /><br />So out the door they ran all in a bunch... they had not time to look...<br />And each one took a rear-end, at random, from the hook.<br /><br />They got their rear-ends all mixed up, which made them awful sore.<br />To think they didn't have the one they'd always had before.<br /><br />And that's the reason you will see, when you go down the street,<br />Each dog will stop to swap a smell with every dog they meet.<br /><br />And that's the reason why a dog will leave a nice fat bone.<br />To go and smell a rear-end... 'cause he hopes to find his own!

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Damn SBN... we musta gone to different schools together.. we learned the same nonsense :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

A dog's buttsmell indicates its emotional state to other dogs. If a dog gets stressed they can cut loose an incredible stinky from those glands they have back there. Had a dachsund once that liked to ride in the car draped across my shoulders - a claw got hung up on the top edge of the power window & she panicked, right at the beginning of a 4-hour road trip. Had to abandon the shirt at a roadside comfort station.<br /><br />They can determine whether they place above or below the other dog in the pecking order based on buttsmell; any disagreements are handled with a "sparring" match.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Let me put it like this, a dog can smell one drop of blood in 5 quarts of water.<br /><br />Dogs can sense odors at concentrations nearly 100 million times lower than humans can and that's a bunch.<br /><br />Just some FYI.
I had heard that too. So wouldn't that make their sense of smell alot greatier than 7 times that of humans?

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

roughly 6 parts per million is what a good sniffin' dog can detect ((fyi - whitetail dear is around 3 parts per million in comparison )).<br /><br />ever have a dog walk up to a bowl of food, snif and not eat it.. don't like the smell.<br /><br />take the same kibble diguise it in a bunch of other treats by feeding it randomly after others. if the dog didn't pick up the scent of it .. down the hatch it goes.. no questions asked.<br /><br />for most dogs ...its all in the sniffer.

TilliamWe

Banned

Just curious to know if dogs can distinguish each of the 5 flavors? I can't, they all taste the same to me.
Mayfloat, it's been a few years, but when I tried the flavored ones, the "red" one tasted different than the rest. Didn't taste like beef or anything, just different than the rest. :) <br /><br />(yes alcohol was involved.)