Military Questions

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
You always see in the movies that a new guy calls one of the higher ups "sir" and the higherup responds, dont call me sir I work for a living.<br /><br />What exactly does that mean?<br /><br />Also, what is the difference between a NCO and a regular officer?<br /><br />Ken

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Military Questions

Enlisted people hate being called sir because only officers are called that. You could have a salty old Master Chief Petty Officer in the service for 25 years whom everybody respects and technically he has to call the 1st year Ensign sir and salute him. That might help you understand why the Master Chief doesn't want to be called sir.<br /><br />An NCO (non commisioned officer) is an enlisted person rank E-4 to E-10. They don't take the same oath that officers do.<br /><br />Officers are rank O-1 to O-10. They have a college degree and/or have been to officer candidate school.<br /><br />An officer always outranks an enlisted man regardless of time in service. Only officers are called sir and you only salute officers. The one exception is Medal of Honor winners. You always salute these heros enlisted or officer.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Officers dont work, they delegate. That is where the expression dont call me sir I work for a living came from

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

OK now I understand, but have another question.<br /><br />How does one become and officer? Are you invited, or can you move up from enlisted ranks to officer ranks by taking a test and meet qualifications?<br /><br />Ken

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Very few enlisted men make it to officer. There are various ways to become an officer. Naval Acadamy or West Point. Colleges offer a program called ROTC. When the person enrolled in ROTC completes their four year degree they go into the military commisioned to be an officer. This usually requires a 5 year commitment. There is also Officer Candidate School where certian enlisted people with high apptitude can become an officer.

mattttt25

Commander

eurolarva- come on by and i'll show you what work is.<br /><br />most of the info you got is correct. although i'm pretty certain nco's are branch determined (e7-e9 for navy, e6-e9 for marine corps).<br /><br />any other questions, let me know.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thanks guys. My 8 yr old continues to say he wants to join the Army, so I am trying to educate myself.<br /><br />Ken

Drowned Rat

Captain

Enlisted men can become commisioned officers in three ways. If you already have a degree you can go to officer candidate school and come out an O-1 or if you don't have a degree you can go to the academy for 4 years and come out an O-1. The later usually carries more prestige and academy grads almost always move up in rank faster than OCS grads. It's a fraternal thing. <br /><br />The third way is to become a Warrant Officer. Warrant Officers are prior enlisted men who have expertise in a field and become commisioned through a testing process. Regular officers still outrank warrants, but Warrant Officers are among the most respected men in the military, because they came up through the ranks and worked hard for everything they've got. Becoming a Warrant Officer is very attainable for an enlisted man with hard work and study. In the Army, Warrant Officers also can be pilots. That isn't the case with all the services. Hope this helps.

Link

Rear Admiral

DR<br />Don't forget battle field commission :)

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DR and Eurolarva - thanks for your explanations of the various ranks. The important question has got to be - which rank has the most "street cred" on the ship - that's got to be the crusty ole master chief petty officer I presume ? :D

Link

Rear Admiral

62_Kiwi<br />Even though you didn't direct your question to me I can still answer that for the American Navy.<br />YUP! Without a doubt.<br />In all branches of the military in the non commisioned officers in the paygrade of E7 (E for Enlisted) or above are senior NCO's.<br />However the Navy takes it to a new level.<br />The Navy treats their senior nco's more on the level as warrent officers. G*ds if you will. :) <br />They even change uniforms to that of officers.<br />Other than being a Commander in the Navy being a Chief is the next best thing. Most Chiefs would challange me on that :p <br />When Mrs.Link went from a Chief to an Ensign (01) her new unit Commander asked her why she had went from one of the most respected ranks in the Navy where he would talk to her and asked her advice to someone he wouldn't want in the room with him! :D <br />So yes Chiefs are big in the Navy!

NYMINUTE

Captain

My opinion on the E pay scales. Beginning the minute an enlisted man ships out to battle he should receive the same pay as his Officer counterpart. These guys are grossly underpaid, and subjected to a life that nobody should be. All this to protect those of us home and safe. We stay here and spend big$$$ on watching millionaires play games on Sunday. :confused: :confused:

gaugeguy

Captain

Matt, NCO's in the Marines are E4 and E5. Staff NCO's are E-6 to E-9. As soon as you get that red blood stripe on your blues, you are a NCO. As soon as you get the first rocker on your stripes, you are a staff NCO.

mattttt25

Commander

couple points of clarification...<br /><br />couple ways to become an officer- go to an academy, graduate in 4 years, and get commissioned as an o-1 (what i did). you can also get an rotc scholarship, attend a regular college, and graduate and get commissioned. or you can graduate college, decide you want to be an officer, and attend ocs and get commissioned. completely untrue that academy grads promote quicker than the others. while some don't agree with me, i feel academy grads and to a lesser extent rotc grads, are better suited when they first enter the field, as opposed to the ocs grads (only 12 weeks of military experience vs. 4 years). but after a few years, it is hard to tell the difference.<br /><br />for an enlisted to become an officer, there are now many programs to allow it. if the enlisted member has a college degree, they can apply through one program and get commissioned as an o-1 (they would then be referred to as a mustang (slang)). they can also apply to a program which sends them to school and ocs, and they are then commissioned as an o-1. there are then other programs that commission the very best enlisted members after they have a lot of experience. one example is a warrant officer. another is an ldo or limited duty officer. these officers recieve the rank of ensign and up, but are obviosuly looked at much differently and receive much different jobs.<br /><br />there is a lot that goes into the rank structure of the military, too much to type here. in the end, we all know what it means, what comes with rank, and how to treat each person.

Drowned Rat

Captain

mattttt25, how many Admirals do you know that went to OCS? :D Precious few.

Twidget

Commander

Hmm, I always preferred the ROTC types. Academy grads tend to think they know everything and wont listen to their chief. As new Ensigns that is. In all fairness though, the Academy guys have the absolute best education available. <br /><br />It seems that to get true captains(as opposed to the title) are Naval Academy grads. With a few exceptions, there seemed to be a ceiling that most ROTC/OCS types seemed to hit.<br /><br />One of the funniest things I saw observing officers was shortly after joining my first ship. The old Captain was an ROTC grad, so there wasnt an academy ring on the ship. The new CO was an academy man....soon every officer that had one was wearing his ring. :)

Twidget

Commander

Oh yeah, there is evidently one other way. We had a a LT that had been First Class(E6) and somehow gotten accepted to Annapolis. Im not sure exactly how he did it.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> Thanks guys. My 8 yr old continues to say he wants to join the Army, so I am trying to educate myself.<br /><br />Ken
8 years old? That gives you a couple years tog et educated:) Wait till he gets 17 and wants to join and wants you to sign for him!!!