Military Court Martials for civilian contractors and journalist

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Military Court Martials for civilian contractors and journalist

If and when it does happen, it will end up in the hands of the supreme court. But if someone is charged, I would think they could be held by the military.

I also think that it is strange the media has not reported on this, I'd have thought they would chew on this like vultures.

crunch

Commander

My first thought is that the Media is scared by this bill and doesn't want it to be well known.

I hope it holds up, the Media is all too well known for it's quest for ratings at the cost of our National Security.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I don't think it has a chance in court. I don't see how it could pass constitutional muster re: jury of peers. I bet theres more than a few people sweatin though.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Wow, that would take your society back 400+ years.
Cheers
Phillip

crunch

Commander

I don't agree Phil, but it might put some responsibility, and accountability back in journalism :p

bassman284

Commander

Plainsman said:
If and when it does happen, it will end up in the hands of the supreme court. But if someone is charged, I would think they could be held by the military.

I also think that it is strange the media has not reported on this, I'd have thought they would chew on this like vultures.
Wow, Plainsman. Must be a Left Wing Liberal Media conspiracy.

bassman284

Commander

Kiwi said:
Wow, that would take your society back 400+ years.
Cheers
Phillip
ROFLMAO!!

Good'n Phil!

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

From what I've been able to figure out there is precedence for this if the journalist is working in a declared war zone. Iraq and Afghanistan are not declared war zones but this added language would apply.

So what would keep the same language from being used state side?

I will try to find out more.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

The problem some individuals have with Journalists, occurs when the Journalist in question expresses or raise facts and-or issues that individual disagrees with.

It is the time old dictatorial situation "if you don't tell the people what I want them to hear then I will stop you from telling then anything".

Believe me, I have no love of Journalist, but I believe they are the greatest sh#t-detectors on this planet.

The 1st thing Dictators do is jail Journalist and close down or destroy printing presses etc who do not support them.

Cheers
Phillip

crunch

Commander

Very true Phil, but I still don't have the right to shout fire in a crowded movie theater... responsibility goes hand in hand with rights. If you abuse the right, you should be held acountable.

OldMercsRule

Captain

I Think Phil may have a rather large point here, (don't know all the details). If the media is subject to the UCMJ, potential President, (Lord forbid) Queen of Mean, (aka ol' Hill) could use that to her advantage. Very scary, (bad as the MSM is), let's think this one over folks. Respectfully JR

crunch

Commander

OMR... it would be the Military, not Hill doing the trials..... do you think there could be anytime in the future a lovefest between them?

bassman284

Commander

Careful, Phil. the good ol' boys here gonna think you have liberal leanings.

crunch

Commander

Good ol' boys already know. :p

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I have worked out who our political parties equivalents are here, and this is how I vote.

For Federal (Aussie National Govt) I vote Republican.
For State Govt I vote Liberal

Strange thing here is:
our Federal Govt is Republican
every State in Australia has a Liberal Govt.

The term good-ol-boys always brings a smile to my dial. To me they are always the mongrels as the back of the pack fighting over the scraps. Plenty of what we call "p#ss-and-wind" but not much else.

As for the Military judging anyone outside their own....forget it.....its like putting the rooster in charge of the hen house, everybodys going to get duff@d. Leave the military to running the military....that's all they are capable of.
Another point: ever seen a General in civilian cloths?

Cheers
Phillip

crunch

Commander

Phil, I haven't got a clue as to what you are talking about, maybe some of our Southern brethren can come in here and translate, but I can't see anything in your post that relates to my post......

How does my right to free speech, and a right to a free press, relate to my yelling fire in a crowded theater?

It's really simple... it's about accountability, repercussions, and responsibility.. Please address that and keep the esoteric politics out of it. :p

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I have to think there are laws that apply to this outside of the UMCJ. I think it is important for the press to "start" doing their job, but as long as it bleeds it leads we can expect more of our ever so common form of yellow journalism.

Charge them as they are, civilians.

treedancer

Commander

It seems that the MSM has been rather busy lately reporting on the important stuff, Ann Nichol Smith. :$

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Did some surfing and found an article that goes into a little detail on the new law. One of the issues raised is the abuse of detainees while under the control of civilian security contractors and how this effects the military command.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/011507E.shtml

For those of us that remember Walter Cronkite's reporting from Viet Nam that may be a parallel that can be drawn.